Drill Press Foot Switch

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can make an inexpensive foot pedal or switch to activate the quill on a Delta bench top drill press. I am drilling pilot holes into 1x and 2x softwood, it would go much faster if I could hold the wood with both hands and pull the drill bit down with my foot. I was thinking of replacing the handles with a pulley and attaching a cable to it to a foot pedal. The pulley would need to travel 270 degrees to make the complete pilot hole.

Any suggestions or other ideas?

Thanks, JV

Reply to
JV

Maybe you'll have more luck figuring out a way to "replace" the second hand in the holding operation. Consider featherboards, and even foot-actuated pneumatic hold downs. You could use a pulley, or even a bicycle-type chain, to operate the quill on your drill press, but I'm not aware of a consumer-grade kit for such a project. It would all have to be fabbed.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

JV,

Could you give more information on exactly what you are doing? Are the holes repetively spaced? Using both hands implies that accuracy of the placement is not all that critical. I would tend to go after production drilling problems through the use of things like indexing jig, toggle clamps, etc - making setup for each hole fast and accurate. My foot is not nearly as controlled as my arm and hand for manipulating the plunge action of the quill.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I seem to recall an article from a couple (?) years ago, I think in Shop Notes magazine, where they had done this. I believe the project was to use your drill press as a spindle sander. The remote operation of the quill was to provide the "up and down" action required. Sorry I don't have access to my magazines now but would be happy to look this evening when I get home, or perhaps someone else knows what I am talking about....

Reply to
brad

Hi JV,

Don't be discouraged by naysayers.

Many years ago, I worked in a cabinet shop where we had a boring machine which drilled pairs of dowel holes for face frame assembly. As you might expect, these holes had to be accurately located. The operation was executed by a foot operated lever which pulled a link chain. If I remember correctly, the chain pulled the table forward into the stationary (horizontal) bits. The stock was securely locked to the table with a cam clamp, so your hands weren't used to hold anything, but it made the operation extremely efficient to have your hands free to quickly reposition the stock (or grab the next piece) without having to let go of a quill handle.

I have heard that highly trained operators can use their feet to make precise speed adjustments in vehicles which exceed two tons in weight. Astonishing!

Paul.

Reply to
Scarfinger