Drill press floor model

Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other question.... You have $400 for a floor drill press what one do YOU buy....... Shop Fox or the delta?

I like the Delta
Dave
O D wrote:

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now. No problems other than belts. They aren't really a problem though. They're just the only part I've been able to wear out. I've looked at the Shop Fox. I kind of like it too. The RPM range is wider.
If I had to buy another one tomorrow, I'd go right back to the Delta. A 2 year warranty that you will probably never need, a reputation for woodworking tools, Delta., Yep. It matches my other bluish-gray tools in the glow of the flourecent T-8s too.
Tom in KY, You might look at a Grizzly,,

Has anyone tried sustituting automotive fan belts for the plain rubber V-Belts used on most shop tools? They cost a little less than double, but seem to last a lot longer.
Cheers!
Gary
I swapped in Power Twist link belts on my Jet DP and it made a significant difference in vibration. How they'll last I don't know, as they only have 6 months of occasional use so far.
Biggest swap out was the chuck. The original owner got a replacement from Jet when the first one had excessive run out. He said the new one was much better and it ran out > .008 at 1" from the chuck! Jeez! My repacement is < .001 at 1" and just feels a lot smoother and doesn't wander at entry even with twist bits. Albrecht makes good chucks!
Regards.
Tom

Gary wrote:

G'day Gary, Yep, sure have. As you say they save a few bob and do last longer. They are also much more readily available. The only problem I had was fitting one to my lathe. Couldn't get a belt short enough, so a few extra holes so as to mount the engine lower and bob's ya auntie.
regards John
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:17:04 GMT, John B

<snip>
I question whether a Delta bought today is the same as the one you bought twelve years ago ? Maybe it is ..... I just wonder ? We have the Delta (Taiwan), purchased about 2 years ago to replace one (also Delta but made in the USA) that was probably 20 years old.
Had trouble with the first chuck, got a replacement that was fine. Overall the drill has performed well, no real complaints. I will say though that Grizzly has one of the best parts service I have had experience with, quick and very helpful. YMMV
Lenny
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Isn't "Shop Fox" a Grizzley brand?
--
Keith

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:34:08 -0500, O D wrote:

I'm in the same position (have some bonus money coming that SHMBO says are mine to spend - she likes the work I've done to the house lately ;) but will go with the Shop Fox. I looked at the equivalent Delta recently but liked a friend's Shop Fox better. Even the Jet, in the same class, looked better. The Delta didn't impress me at all. ...but what do I know?
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O D) wrote:

Delta is coming out with a new model. Two axes tilting table and laser. If you have a need for this feature, you might want to wait a bit. Read this today here:
<http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm
Couple clicks down the page.
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:38:55 +0000, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Nice! Any idea when?
--
Keith

I have the Delta and I'm happy with it. My alternative was the comparable Jet, which also looked good. I liked the Delta table better.
O D wrote:

Not another Delta 17-965.
.001" runout. Seems well-built.
BUT the first motor I had vibrated so badly that wood would walk off the table. A link-belt ($25) was needed to make the tool useable.
Delta customer support was helpful and back-ordered a second motor for me which took a couple months to get in stock. It vibrates less but has an audible rattle when run vertically as installed in the drill-press.
--
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
Thank you all for your input. However I did not follow my own choices . Went to woodcrafter in clearwater and bought the Jet. $399 minus 10% minus $25 rebate. Think the rebates gimmick should go though. Give back money they overcharged in the first place. We are hooked on rebates now. Cannot get off this addiction. Again thanks.