drill press confusion

bit the dust and got the new ryobi 12" DP for $169. figured that I wont work on metal so 500rpm as lowest wont hurt. I would have got the older one if price was less.

Hope to use this dp for a long time now.

thanks to all for the inputs.

-joy

the olderryobi12" DP

Reply to
therider

Yeah, my shop isn't much bigger than that. I'd recommend forgetting both Ryobi models and getting the Ridgid floor-standing model at Home Depot - $270 or so is reasonable, I think, if there's any way at all you can afford it. I'll agree with everyone else that the DP is one of the most frequently used tools in my shop - I have a 50+ year old Atlas model with about 4.5" of spindle travel, and it's absolutely worth the space it takes up (compared to a portable bench-top unit). I was fortunate enough to inherit this tool, so I didn't have to pay for it, but I've added a LinkBelt, a table with fence + t-tracks, and a pulley/counterweight so the table is easier to move up and down. I've never wished for a laser. Another option, besides looking around for used ones (craigslist, ebay) would be to check out Harbor Freight if there's a store near you - I've heard their DPs (especially their higher-end ones) are not too bad. According to their website, they have a few 16-speed models, around

14", for $185-190. I would definitely say that size/weight upgrade would be worth $20 compared to the Ryobi. In my opinion, an extra 50 lbs of cast iron is a great feature to dampen vibration and just lend more overall "solidity". Just my opinions, Andy
Reply to
Andy

I really wish I could go for a floor model but it was way over my budget and i dont have any more space. its quite a long way for me to get my own condo/townhouse and a workshop in a garage. for now i have to make do with the biggest i could afford. the harbor freight floor model was tempting but no retail store near me :(

thanks for the great advice.

-joy

Reply to
therider

"CW" snip

Depending on how and what you use the DP for. I am constantly changing speeds, switching between small and large bits, forstners bits and between drilling large or small holes in metals. I would not have a DP without variable speed. Granted to OP may not need it today, but someday soon maybe - why limit yourself?

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I am loving the utility of the lasers and the variable speed. just what i wanted to have in a DP. As a starter, I am making a wooden game of abalone for my niece, and had to make 61 hemispherical crevices on the hexagonal piece. lasers made it fast. and i experimented with several speeds before getting a optimum one for the right cut quality. I used a router bit for this, and depth stop on the DP.

I will keep you guyz posted on my work. will upload my work on my woodwork gallery:

-joy

Reply to
therider

You can get around a short stroke. Drill as deep as you can, turn the DP off, raise the table so that the bit goes down in the hole, secure the wood and turn the DP back on and continue drilling.

Reply to
Leon

hi leon,

I learnt about that technique too, among a lot of other things, in just

2 days, thanks to my "confusion" :). am just feeling good about not risking outgrowing my DP too soon. I liked that 10" but the extra power of this 12" might come handy some day.

thanks for your input.

-joy

Reply to
therider

My first (and only) is a Delta floor model. I have to slip the belt over pulleys to change speeds, but for the most part I keep it at 1000 rpm. I'm really glad to have a floor model. Whatever you use, I found that a cheap drafting lamp mounted nearby gives all the light I need.

Reply to
Phisherman

took me several happy hours today to make a sturdy bench for the 12" ryobi DP. I will be adding a caster platform to it tomorrow. I really love this drill. a floor model could definitely offer a lot more, but this will just do for me. In rare cases of drilling on big workpieces I can swing the head. But for those cases when you need to drill a dowel hole, I have the doweling jig and the hand power drill. Love the lasers and built-in light. Minimalistic design. The variable speed is a boon too, can always fine tune the speed for a work at hand.

A couple pics:

-drill press on bench:

below table saw:
woodworking.

-j

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
therider

-j

the best thing I did for my floor dp is replce the chuck with a keyless chuck.

Believe it or not .. with the key chuck I was having trouble getting a good bite on the drill bit, it would keep slipping on heavy load.

Since I have replace it with a good keyless .. it no longer slips and it seems to have less wobble.

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD