drill press chuck wobble

The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

Unseat and clean the taper first.

Reply to
George

The runout (wobble) should be too small to see without a dial indicator. Delta should fix it for you. But first, remove the chuck and clean the male and female tapers. Reinstall.

DonkeyHody "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Checking the inside of a Morse taper with an inside micrometer is not recommended.

Using a plug gage will not do the job. A two metal balls kit is used a small one and a larger one. You have to follow the right procedures. Unless you have the proper equipment forget about it.

In your case, I would clean the inside taper with a lapping compound (a metal/rust remover may do) and do the same thing on the taper shaft. Then insert the spindle without hand pressure. If this does not work. As this drill press is new, call Delta and explain the situation. I did this before and they were very understanding. In some instance where the equipment is too large they may have a contract with a local repair shop that does service call. The last resort is to use machinist blue and hand scrape and lapping fit (abrasive compound) the taper. The later is not recommended if you have never done this before.

Reply to
<marierdj

Correction to my last post: without hand pressure should have read: "with only hand pressure"

Reply to
<marierdj

I had same problem - severe wobble. Returned one and got second one with less wobble. At the advice of a local Woodcraft store (didn't buy it there) I removed the chuck and found a dent in the chuck taper, about 3/32" diameter. I used rotary tool to remove the burr around the dent and then sanded some (carefully). This greatly reduced the run-out. I am still somewhat disappointed in the run-out on this tool and may try some lapping. I had called Delta and they said the measured run-out was 'acceptable' and gave me no recourse.

Good luck,

Bob

Reply to
Bob