drill doctor

Anybody have one or used one? Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ? Did a Google, but would like real life info.

thanks

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas " Pliny 100 A D

Reply to
Michael Lane

Yup, got one. I've used it several times and have no complaints but one. It don't do auger bits.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

I have had one for about two years and like it. It does a great job of sharpening standard bits. I have reclaimed a boxful of throw-asides. Actually, from a practical standpoint, I seldom sharpen bits on a one-by-one basis. They get set aside and I dedicate an hour or so to bringing them back to usefulness. That means I sharpen myself into boredom once every couple of months.

I believe mine is a model 500. It has replacable grinding stones. I have been told that cheaper ones require factory replacement but cannot verify this.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I've been using one for about 6 months now - I love it. Only takes a few seconds to sharpen a bit, and what a difference it makes.

I have a low end model - it will only do regular bits. If you use alot of different bits, look into the higher up models that will do various bits.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I received the DD705X as a gift. As a long-time advocate of learning to hand sharpening drill bits, I found this tool pleasant to use but too slow for me. I must confess that I still go to the grinder and touch up the bits.

I gave it to my brother, who could not hand sharpen a drill bit if his life depended on it. He thinks its the greatest invention on the planet.

Dave

Teamcasa

Bought the drill doctor about 5 yrs ago. In a nice hard case with a video tape to use. Sharpened all the bits (100 - 200 ) and have not used it again. About $125 if I remember. Will not do brad point. Figure I can buy a lot of bits for the same money. So yes it works, necessary , well guess that depends on your use of the bits. Don't throw them in a box or drop them and take care of them . Guess the answer really is .... How bad do you want another toy. Assume you are not going to make a living with the bits.

Reply to
O D

Once upon a time, I could do a pretty decent job of hand sharpening drill bits, but it is a use it or lose it skill, and I lost it.

If the majority of your bits that need sharpening are 3/8" or less, you will be money ahead to just buy replacement drills and forget the drill doctor.

Buy drill bit sets on sale and forget about it.

Option 2:

Find somebody who can sharpen drills INCLUDING brad points, save up all your drills that need sharpening until you have a bunch, then take then along with a cold 12 pack and head to your new friend's place.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Learn to sharpen them by hand.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep - have one and it works great. Don't use it too much since I don't use my drill bits as much as I used to but it has salvaged a lot of bits for me.

Reply to
Tom

I totally agree with this point of view. The Drill Doctor cost several times the cost of a new box of drill bits. I don't think I'll live long enough to pay back for this gadget.

If I was making a living using drill bits and I was going through a box per month, the Drill Doctor would make sense but it's not my case.

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

"I'll drink to that !" Kid Sheleen, Cat Ballou 1982

Reply to
Rudy