drill bit types

Can someone tell me the difference between the type of drill bits, i.e. Gold, Cobalt, Titanium, and Black-Oxide. Also what does Metal index mean?

thanks for your help

john

Reply to
Coltrane

Coltrane wrote: | Can someone tell me the difference between the type of drill bits, | i.e. Gold, Cobalt, Titanium, and Black-Oxide. | Also what does Metal index mean?

A drill index is a small "rack" that holds drill bits. It may be a hinged box, or it may just be a bar with holes in it. A metal index is a drill index made out of sheet metal (the alternative is plastic) with a (typically) hinged lid.

Those aren't really types of drill bits - the adjectives refer to coatings or finishes applied to drill bits. If the bits are for woodworking, my recommendation would be to not spend extra for any of them. If they're for metalworking, I'd suggest asking over in rec.crafts.metalworking

Types of woodworking bits include spade, Forstner, brad-point, tapered, and standard twist bits. If you browse a catalog sales web site (like

you can see photos and find a bit about the attributes of each.

HTH

Morris Dovey

The difference in the types of coatings is how hard the surface is and generally how long the bit will remain sharp. Typically when all types are brand new you will not see a difference in how they cut. Additionally these types bits, as Morris has pointed out, are for cutting metals. You want wood bits for more precision and cleaner cuts in wood.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I guess I did mean coating rather than type. I just kept seeing Gold, Titanium, etc, and I didn't know the difference. Now I understand that for wood working I do not have pay extra for these type of coatings.

well I'm off to the store

cheers

Le> > Can someone tell me the difference between the type of drill bits, i.e.

Reply to
Coltrane

I would be very surprised if the titanium nitride coated Forstners that Woodcraft had reduced to 10 bucks a set around Christmas were intended for use on metal.

Reply to
J. Clarke

funny,

john was

jprok at eye be em dot net

J. Clarke wrote:

Reply to
Coltrane

funny,

john was

jprok at eye be em dot net

J. Clarke wrote:

Reply to
Coltrane

I much prefer to buy HSS (High Speed Steel) when it comes to wood working drill bits. Today, it is a little hard to buy HSS bits and cutters. Most big Boxes stores offer mild steel coated with cobalt and titanium. To learn the difference I made tests with HSS bits from Lee Valley and titanium coated bits from Busy Bees. It like day and night. Carbide bits are good for concrete. When buying router bits quality carbide is superior to HSS. FWIW

Reply to
<marierdj