Drill bit size for copper pipe union?

Page 1 of 2
Got the bright idea of using a 1/2" copper pipe union as a bushing and then realized that I don't have a drill bit the right size. Looks like it's a tight 11/16, an 18mm, or a slightly loose 23/32. Anybody know offhand which one is right?
J. Clarke wrote:

Will depend on whether it's M or L. Can't just is mic it???
On 6/25/2010 8:43 PM, dpb wrote:

And that tells me that it's a tight 11/16, pretty close to right on 18mm, or a slightly loose 23/32. The question is which one makes a hole that it actually fits. The nominal diameter of the bit and the diameter of the hole are not the same.
And I think it's an M--it's whatever Home Despot sells anyway.
And it's going into MDF, not precisely bored steel.
I'm not really looking for somebody to compare measurements, I'm hoping that someone else who has had the same idea has found out from experience which bit works.
RE: Subject
Time for some test holes in a scrap piece of MDF.
Lew

WHAT???? This subject hasn't been beaten to death and we haven't reached consesus yet. How dare you inject such a simple and obvious solution this early in the game? Art
"Artemus" wrote:

-------------------------------- All this bullshit detracts from my beer drinking time.
Lew

Wait just a minute. Nobody has even determined if it is a coupling with a stop or without a stop. That would make a big difference if he was going to use it as a bearing. If it has a stop he's going to have to go back to the BORG and buy another one. That could be a completely different diameter. Then what??
On 6/25/2010 11:25 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Nope, it had a stop. It doesn't anymore.
On 6/25/2010 10:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, if I had the bits in hand. But I don't.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

------------------------- Your problem does not detract from my solution.
Lew
On 6/25/2010 11:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Your solution is to a problem other than the one posted.

Plumbing stuff is specced by inside diameter.
O.D. is whatever the manufacturer feels like.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Incorrect.
Incorrect.
Pipe is specified by OD; the ID is determined by the nominal OD and the wall thickness.
Think about it: if OD were "whatever the manufacturer feels like" you wouldn't be able to use Manufacturer A's fittings with Manufacturer B's pipes. It's precisely to ensure such interchangeability of pipes and fittings across brands that the sizes are specified by OD, not by ID.
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:40:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Would that not necessitate that ID also needs to be specified to the fitting of one manufacturer will cover and fit the OD of another brand? Sounds like it works both ways.

Short version:
The specs are for the OD of the pipe. Fittings are sized to match the pipe.
Long version:
Pipe sizes are specified by nominal diameter. Pipes of any given nominal diameter in a particular material always have the same actual outside diameter, although the inside diameter varies depending on the service schedule. For example, Schedule 80 pipe is heavier-duty than Schedule 40 -- but 2" Sch 80 and 2" Sch 40 have the same OD. Sch 80 has a smaller ID because it has thicker walls. The material matters too: 3/4" PVC, 3/4" steel, and 3/4" copper pipes have distinctly different diameters.
Pipe fittings are specified also by nominal diameter. Female fittings of any given nominal diameter in a particular material always have the same actual *inside* diameter, because they need to fit on pipes with a specific *outside* diameter. Male fittings of any given nominal diameter always have the same OD as the corresponding pipe in the same material.
Threaded fittings of a particular nominal diameter always have exactly the same actual diameter of the threaded portion, regardless of material.
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:40:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You are wrong and I am man enough to admit it. Hoses are measured by I.D. Tubing is measured by O.D.
For example with copper. We have various "Types," L, M, N and there may be others. For a given size they are all the same O.D. The different wall thickness will yield a different I.D. but they will all use the same fittings because their O.D.'s are the same.

Nobody's talking about either hoses or tubing. We're talking about pipes.

Which is exactly what I said: the OD is the same, and the ID varies depending on the wall thickness as determined by the pipe schedule.
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:03:12 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Doug,
Never mind what I just said. I had a massive brain fart and have now recovered. You said what I said after I had too many beers.

Don't worry about it, Gordon -- been there and done that too many times myself to get upset over someone else doing the same thing. I even use the same term for it.

-------------------------------- Threaded pipe is definitely specified by OD and wall thickness which in turn specs the ID.
The thread is also determined by the pipe OD.
(Remember schedule 10, 40, 80, 160, etc)
Soldered pipe such as residential water pipe is a whole different kettle of fish.
Lew