drill bit sharpeners

Page 2 of 2

Probably the best is Drill Doctor. Problem is the cost. It does not to brad points and forstners though. I've yet to spend enough money on bits to justify a sharpener myself.
Just for additional info, for brad point and forstner bits, I have been successful so far using a medium and fine diamond sharpening cards. They work fast and produce a great edge on carbide router bits and turning chisles as well.

I have a drill doctor. My parents got it for me for a birthday present.
Now I would not be without it. No it doesn't do brad or forstner bits, that's okay. It keeps my carbon steel bits incredibly sharp. Better than new in fact! I sharpened everything. Wow!
John
John Freeman wrote:

I second the positive review. I did a write up on mine;
http://www.huntfamily.com/drill_doctor_review.htm
Bernie

Where do you find carbon steel drill bits? I didn't know they made them anymore.

Sounds like a lot of support for the doctor. Can anyone explain to me how it can grind the relief, I've always been curious about that. I've never seen one in action, and can't comprehend from the pictures how they would work. Seems to me it uses a pencil sharpener approach, and there is no relief. I'd be mucho grateful to anyone who can set me straight.
Thanks
M Wingett wrote:

The bit sits in a carrier that has a cam on its base. As you rotate the bit against the spinning diamond wheel, the cam causes the bit to rise and fall. It's not a pencil sharpener at all.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
Mortimer wrote

grinding the relief. IME sharpening drill bits, the grinding angle changes in addition to following the relief. But if you guys say it gets it, I'll accept that and move on with my life.
Thanks again,
mw
M Wingett wrote:

Go to this site and watch the first and possibly second video. You'll see what I mean:
http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&wrap00video
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
Mortimer wrote

copies the motion well. Thanks for the education, I've been puzzled by that for longer than I care to admit.
A tip of the hat, and on to the next mystery of life.
mw
You need more pratice. I can do them faster by hand that machine.