drill bit sharpeners

"John Freeman" wrote

Sounds like a lot of support for the doctor. Can anyone explain to me how it can grind the relief, I've always been curious about that. I've never seen one in action, and can't comprehend from the pictures how they would work. Seems to me it uses a pencil sharpener approach, and there is no relief. I'd be mucho grateful to anyone who can set me straight.

Thanks

Reply to
M Wingett

The bit sits in a carrier that has a cam on its base. As you rotate the bit against the spinning diamond wheel, the cam causes the bit to rise and fall. It's not a pencil sharpener at all.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You need more pratice. I can do them faster by hand that machine.

Reply to
CW

Mortimer wrote

Thanks for the reply! That helps some, but still having trouble visualizing grinding the relief. IME sharpening drill bits, the grinding angle changes in addition to following the relief. But if you guys say it gets it, I'll accept that and move on with my life.

Thanks again,

mw

Reply to
M Wingett

Go to this site and watch the first and possibly second video. You'll see what I mean:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mortimer wrote

copies the motion well. Thanks for the education, I've been puzzled by that for longer than I care to admit.

A tip of the hat, and on to the next mystery of life.

mw

Reply to
M Wingett

I inherited from my grandfather a box of maybe 50 lbs of drill bits, many in the 1-2" diameter range. it would cost real money to buy all of those new, but a couple of hours with the grinder and a jig and they're all ready to go...

Reply to
bridger

I can't believe you guys don't seem to touch up drill bits any more often than you indicate. I use a bench grinder to get the basic angle and relief. I thin the web a little when needed and fine tune the edge with a 1 1/2 inch aluminum oxide disk in the moto tool. I run a finger over the edge about every time I use the bit. If it feels or looks like it's in need, the moto tool, connected through a sewing machine foot control, is right at arm's reach on the bench. I can't imagine doing without that little tool.

rhg

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I buy the best quality drill bits I can. I usually lose or break them before I blunt them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I dill a couple bits every month or less since they are 5/16" and 3/8" that would get spendy.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Where do you find carbon steel drill bits? I didn't know they made them anymore.

Reply to
CW