Drill attachment in place of chuck?

Page 2 of 2

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 5/2/2015 3:35 AM, John Doe wrote:

It might help if we knew just what machine the chuck is being removed from...

What exactly are you looking for and/or trying to do?
I have two drill presses in my shop that have never had a drill chuck on them. They came out of the box and I installed tapping heads in them instead. I have a third machine (a mill drill) that came to my shop used with a drill chuck in it, but I immediately knocked the taper out and installed an MT2-ER25 collet chuck instead.
So, anyway, are you saying that you You have a drill with a male threaded spindle nose? What do you want to screw onto it? If its just a protector for the threads I would suggest you identify the thread and find an all thread coupler that size.

What has been already readily understood by most reply authors in this thread.
--

Thanks to the replies.

On Sat, 2 May 2015 12:20:36 -0700

I need to look into a collet chuck for mine. I have a 3/4-inch shank end mill bit that i have been wanting to try out
but nothing that's big enough to hold a 3/4-inch shank

Not sure what you intend to do, but note that drill presses do not care to have sideways loads applied. That's why mill cutters are run in mills, not drill presses.
John
On Sat, 2 May 2015 22:35:52 +0000 (UTC)

thanks for caring about my drill press so much
don't think it matters since it won't be a lot of pressure sideways

That was kind of my point - if you're just going up & down, you're fine; that's what the drill press is designed to do. If you want to use it like a mill, that's not such a good idea.
John
On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:38:07 +0000 (UTC)

obviously
has anyone called you Major Obvious or maybe General or Captain

Most people think name calling is for grade schoolers.

NUT-UH!
Ah, much better now.
In the Delta, the entire spindle - from the morse affixed chuck up through the cone pulleys. One extracts that full length and inserts another that is a Tool holder - it attaches to the drill or attaches to another tool. Dad had a third that attached to wood cutters. With a nice rack on both sides of his wood table - he was able to make picture frames without problems. Make moldings and other like work.
It was a multifunctional heavy duty drill press with three cones that two belts were changed through for various speeds and torques.
It was stolen from my brothers wood shop while he was away instructing in Tank school in Tenn. some years ago.
Martin