Drill attachment in place of chuck?

Page 1 of 2
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?
So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in place of the chuck.
I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it would be drill chuck thread specific.
Thanks.

Mostly, it's consumer tool chucks that are threaded onto the spindle nose.
Commercial metalworking tools usually use taper-mounted chucks. Common among the tapers used is the Morse #2 taper.
If your chuck is taper-mounted in the spindle (not 'on' the spindle), then _any_ tool having the same taper could be used in your spindle.
Lloyd
On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 2:36:47 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:

And, continuing what Lloyd said, when the taper mounted drill is mounted it s much steadier and stronger. It could also be cheaper, depending on how m any different size drill bits you are going to use. But you need to go loo king on the metal working side of the house.
One last thing, assuming your drill press does have a #2 Morse Taper, chang ing the bits will only require a slight tap with the a drift designed for y our drill press, which is a wedged shaped of steel that slides in the slot on the quill and presses down on the end of the bit/taper.
On Sat, 02 May 2015 04:43:51 -0700, Dr. Deb wrote:

I'm amazed that after 20 years or so, I've still got the drift that came with my drill press - I used it once to see how it worked :-).

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/cordless-drills/t15-lithium-ion-cordless-drill-564521

Did you have to search, or were you waiting for an opportunity to mention it? :-)
FWIW, Black & Decker has a similar unit in stores. I was totally unimpressed with the one I got, the connection method looked reliable but the motor and gear unit sounded terrible.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

email.me:

That's a good question. I can't think of anything that would be screwed onto a drill in place of the chuck, other than another chuck.
Bigger drills use a morse taper rather than a screw on chuck. There are thousands of things that have a morse taper, but most of those are intended for lathes, milling machines, etc. Larger sizes of drill bits can be had with morse taper shanks for directly installing in drill press (quicker to change bits that way, as compared to using a chuck).
John

    Well ... I have somewhere (or had somewhere) a device which fits between the threaded chuck on a hand-held electric drill (called a "drill motor") and the drill motor itself. It is a shaft, threaded male on one end and female on the other, and it slides into a plastic housing which tapers so you can grip it closer to the drill motor and the drill bit can be retracted back into the housing. Its purpose is to use when drilling overhead (ceiling, etc), where the six "feet" of the housing hold the drill aproximately square to the surface, and it catches the drillings to keep them from falling into your eyes.
    I think that I used it once. :-)
    And -- of course -- it only fit some of the drill motors which I had. :-)
    I could perhaps picture some kind of tapping head which would replace the chuck, and which would have an extension to keep the body from rotating relative to the drill motor. (Similar things, with Morse taper adaptors, fit my drill press. The ones which I have are made by TapMatic -- but I have never seen one with a thread to fit a drill motor.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 7 May 2015 03:54:45 GMT

never seen one of these sounds like a little overkill but could be useful
i have seen clear plastic collars attached to catch the drillings

have never seen one but maybe they exist might need to be custom made

my chuck is MT2 and now i wonder how the chuck is attached to the MT2 is it screw in or is it also an MT

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece ("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.
John
On Thu, 7 May 2015 19:49:17 +0000 (UTC)

this looks like it's two pieces
if it is two is it possible to separate them
On 5/7/2015 4:38 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle, and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.
There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably. They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable ring that tightens the chuck.
I think they can be had for around $16 ..
--
Jeff

On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:25:23 -0400

do the wedges go inside the chuck jaws
looking at the chuck that is my best guess
this drill press was a tool rescue it was outdoors it had fallen face first at some point
i cleaned the MT2 as it was falling out and could not get a firm purchase
but i want to dismantle the chuck end and clean it also

You don't want to do what you're wanting to do. Jacobs taper really don't want to be taken apart.
But anyway - the wedges go between the top of the chuck and the shoulder on the arbor - assuming there is a shoulder on the arbor, which there often isn't.
If there's no shoulder on the arbor, you turn the chuck upside down and drill a big hole in the end, and use a drift to drive the arbor out. Or better yet, a hydraulic press.
John
Look for a screw of some sort in the throat of the chuck. Might be there and if there - take it out and then you can extract the chuck off the arbor.
Martin
On 5/8/2015 1:25 PM, woodchucker wrote:

On 5/8/15 9:38 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

And often these screws are reverse thread (lefty tighty, righty loosy)
-BR

--- ---
On Fri, 08 May 2015 22:38:14 -0500

i fear it will be rusted tight but maybe i will get lucky i fear it will be a philips head
will found out today
On 5/9/2015 10:58 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Be mindful of the direction to turn the retainer screw or bolt, especially of it is a Philips head screw.
Most likely in the normal direction but for future reference,
Just remember that the screw tightens in the opposite direction that the drill spins to drill a hole. To loosen turn in the direction that the drill normally spins. Just like most anything that retains a spinning object.
On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:25:23 -0400

you were correct about the J taper it looked like MT3 but regardless I got that free from the chuck as there was a hole in the top of the chuck and it was easy to use a punch inside the chuck jaws
my next step was to dismantle the chuck i bored a hole in a 2x4 and tried to press the piece apart but the 2x4 wasn't hard enough and did not survive so i need to try some harder wood
found some good instructions albeit conflicting about whether or not jaws should be closed or half way, etc.
i tried the half way suggestion
Most of the non-commercial attachments are made to be held by the chuck. E.g., sanding disk.
As to your actual question ("...keyword to search for ...") - can't help.
Bob