Dried wood glue vs Jointer/planer knives

Hello,
I've been told that running glue-ups through a planer or jointer is not a good idea. The dried glue apparently has a damaging effect on the knives. Any other ideas/opinions?
Curt Blood Amateur Furniture Maker
dustyone wrote:

Certainly large amounts of dried glue are going to do a number on the knives, particularly non-carbide...that's what (a) avoiding <excessive> squeeze out initially, and (b) glue scrapers are for...

And after you scrap, sand off what you can of what remains. Your blades will thank you for it.
dustyone says...

If you are talking about edge glued panels, that isn't the only reason not to do it. Unless the grain is going in all the same direction, which is very unlikely, tear out is all but guaranteed. Once the panel is glued up, go to hand planes, scrapers and sanding. I use a ROS if sanding is called for. Your glue-up should be close to flat and level after it dries. If it isn't, then something else went wrong.

Back when I had access to a planer large enough for a glued up panel, I ran quite a few of them. Never had a problem with tear out. Did oak and walnut and cherry, IIRC.

Some are much worse than others. PVA, the common "carpenters'" glue is fairly benign. Resorcinol and other tough ones can chip edges.

Depends on the glue. Most of the everyday glues you'd apply yourself are OK, most of them used for commercial plywood are a bad idea. You can cerrtainly do this, and you won't destroy anything instantly, but expect accelerated wear on the knives.
Same thing applies to hand planes.