Dresser Mirror Mounting

Greetings,

I have just finished a chest and dresser and want to mount a mirror (about 24x45 or so) behind the dresser. I have the frame nearly ready to put together and am wondering the best way to mount the glass. I am thinking about a rabbit to hold the glass and a shallower rabbit to hold the backing which will be a piece of ply. That way the backing will be flush. Or, should I just cut a rabbit for the glass and then mount the backing to the outside of the frame? I guess I should buy the glass before proceding so I can fit the frame to the glass. I am planning to mount the assy to the dresser using a french cleat on the bottom of the dresser to support the weight and then fastening the legs with screws at the top.

Thanks, Charlie in Kentucky

Reply to
Charlie Campney

FWIW, I have a very nice bedroom set with a triple mirror dresser. It has 1/8" material tacked or stapled behind the mirror. Mirrors are heavy as hell, so I wouldn't add TOO much additional material. Just something to protect it a bit. Hey, the front is exposed, so no need to secure the back like Fort Knox.

dave

Charlie Campney wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave

Glad to see you still wearing your halo. I know it feels tight right now, but it looks good on you.

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Jules

How'd you train 'em? .

If in you screw them in place you don't have to train em. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

dogs are easier to train. esp. poodles.

dave

Le> Fri, Feb 6, 2004, 2:14pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@logantele.com

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

That was my question, too. Our rabbit will sit still for a brushing, but that's about it.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

OK guys, I apologize for misspelling rabbet ! ! !

Now back to the original query. Should I cut two rabbets, one for the glass and one for the backing, or just one rabbet for the glass and mounting the backing on the outside of the frame? Any advise(sp) would be appreciated.

Pics of some projects here:

Regards, Charlie in Kentucky

Reply to
Charlie Campney