Dresser Mirror Mounting

Greetings,
I have just finished a chest and dresser and want to mount a mirror (about 24x45 or so) behind the dresser. I have the frame nearly ready to put together and am wondering the best way to mount the glass. I am thinking about a rabbit to hold the glass and a shallower rabbit to hold the backing which will be a piece of ply. That way the backing will be flush. Or, should I just cut a rabbit for the glass and then mount the backing to the outside of the frame? I guess I should buy the glass before proceding so I can fit the frame to the glass. I am planning to mount the assy to the dresser using a french cleat on the bottom of the dresser to support the weight and then fastening the legs with screws at the top.
Thanks, Charlie in Kentucky
FWIW, I have a very nice bedroom set with a triple mirror dresser. It has 1/8" material tacked or stapled behind the mirror. Mirrors are heavy as hell, so I wouldn't add TOO much additional material. Just something to protect it a bit. Hey, the front is exposed, so no need to secure the back like Fort Knox.
dave
Charlie Campney wrote:

Dave
Glad to see you still wearing your halo. I know it feels tight right now, but it looks good on you.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

(Charlie Campney) claims: <snip> I am thinking about a rabbit to hold the glass and a shallower rabbit to hold the backing which will be a piece of ply. <snip>
How'd you train 'em? .
If in you screw them in place you don't have to train em. ;~)
dogs are easier to train. esp. poodles.
dave
Leon wrote:

That was my question, too. Our rabbit will sit still for a brushing, but that's about it.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

OK guys, I apologize for misspelling rabbet ! ! !
Now back to the original query. Should I cut two rabbets, one for the glass and one for the backing, or just one rabbet for the glass and mounting the backing on the outside of the frame? Any advise(sp) would be appreciated.
Pics of some projects here: www.campney.org
Regards, Charlie in Kentucky
snipped-for-privacy@logantele.com (Charlie Campney) wrote in message

On 7 Feb 2004 05:56:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@logantele.com (Charlie Campney) wrote:

sure. here's some advice for you:
advice is spelled a d v i c e.....
< G >
If the back or edge of the ply is not seen, it doesn't really matter.