dresser carcass construction with dovetails bearer rail

I'm planning on building a mission style dresser with 3 rows of drawers. Across the bottom there are supports for the drawers that are fit into the legs. I have seen this drawer runner to leg joint being done with a dovetail. Does anyone have any helpful hints on creating the bearer rails in a carcass dovetail without using hand tools. It seems as if a jig can be used to make the pin in the leg but given the rail is about 60 inches long I can't determine a machine method of cutting the tail of the rail / drawer runner. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
tfk3160

Why no hand tools? Seems like a handsaw and chisel would be the simplest way to do this.

Anyways, two suggestions:

1) Mount a jig on the wall high enough for the piece to clear the floor, stand on a chair/stool/bench while routing.

2) Make a jig to route it with the router held horizontally.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

My Leigh D4R as well as my FMT jig have been clamped at the edge of the pull-down stairway opening to the upper level of my shop so that I could work on long pieces. One time I even made use of the railing of a deck to get the height that I needed. It just takes a little creativity to come up with a way to solve those unique one-time situations.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Thanks, so the Leigh can cut this type? I'm guessing for this application its essentially the pin of a narrow sliding dovetail?

Reply to
tfk3160