Dreaming of shops

I'd like to get as many ideas as I can on woodworking shop desires in the following areas (plus, of course, anything you'd like to add):

Tiny, quiet shops (as I once had in an alcove in my apartment).

Small shops, differing locations (and I'm open to location ideas: I've had shops on long back porches and in small parlors and in large dining rooms, as well as in basements and garages).

Larger shops, primarily basement and garage style.

Small freestanding shops.

Economical freestanding shops (there can be a major difference in cost for a similar shop size), so interest in, and tips on, keeping it low cost are invited. In my case, I used rough cut lumber, green, from a local mill for all but the posts in my 25' x 48' shop.

Larger freestanding shops, regular frame or post constructioin.

Freestanding metal shop buildings.

Dream shops.

Reply to
Charlie Self

| Larger freestanding shops, regular frame or post constructioin. | | Freestanding metal shop buildings.

A self-heating 30' x 40' shop (construction photos)

about 20 miles south of my location (maps)

Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA

Morris Dovey

At least 10' ceillings Wooden floor with radiant heating HVAC system that keeps shop at 'standard day conditions' 24/7 Separate room for dust collector and compressor for noise reduction Lots of windows Lots of electrical outlets in convenient locations One, two, three, four and five phase power up to a min of 920 Lighting that accurately simulates sunlight UV light that ages cherry 1 year per minute (on low setting) Fully mobile cabinets, tools and benches that can be unlocked with a single lever Lumber storage system with infinite storage that takes up no space (may need Steven Hawking to build this)

Reply to
RayV

A more or less free standing shop, not all woodworking:

--------------------

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Anything outside in good weather. The part I hate most about woodworking is being cooped up in some basement in the summer. ~mike

Reply to
Michael Dombrowski

Do I smell a book in the works?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

OK. I doubt the infinite storage is a viable idea, but...good list. Thanks.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maybe, way down the road, if I can put together enough new desires and ideas, but think three years out, at least.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not me - without central AC, the nice cool basement is the best place to be on a hot summer day. Of course that nice cool basement isn't quite as pleasant on a cold winter day, but it never gets below 45F or so either. To answer the OP, my current shop would fall into the "tiny apartment shop" category, at about 8 feet x 11 feet, with maybe 7 foot high open- joist ceiling. Some sheet-goods storage is out in the basement proper, but basically I do all my work in there and it's one of my favorite places to be. Of course more space would be nice, but this is adequate - the main things that make it workable are efficient use of space, both for storage and work areas. Walls and ceiling are used extensively for storage. Of course a big TS is ruled out by space, but a big (16", 220V) BS doesn't take up much floor space. Router table, drill press, and workbench all have storage underneath, and I even made a stand for the dehumidifier so that doesn't waste floor space. Modular interlocking foam floor mats make standing a lot more comfortable. As far as realistic dreams for my shop, it'd be nice if the ceiling were insulated so late-night noise wouldn't bother people above, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to worry about flooding - no problems yet in the shop, but the floor in other parts of the basement is wet whenever it rains. No valuable tools or wood are stored on the floor. Does that answer your question? Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have a 30'x50'....

but

I would like a 30x50 with solar heating and some method of cooling. I suspect a small heat pump ought to do it with just one main trunk line with several vents.

I would like raised wood floors where I could run my DC ducts and my electrical cables.

I would like more 8' tubes with those snazzy "daylight" temps. I am talking 25-30 tubes in three zones.

I would like the DC to be in an outside room along with the air compressor.

I would want a monster DC 5HP or better.

I would want a full 40 circuit panel box.

I would want garage door lifts for those 2 12'x12' doors.

I would want a seperate finishing room with exhaust fans.

I would love a "loading dock" that is variable in height.

Give me a day or two and I'll come up with more...

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Some good ideas, some not practical...variable height loading dock (what I do is stack landscape timbers to let the PU run up on them until the tailgate is even, or close to even, with the floor...actually, if the load is heavy, 2-3" above the floor. Then use plywood for a ramp).

Has anyone thought much about lighting, other than needing a lot of it?

Reply to
Charlie Self

I was thinking about one of those really snazzy "lift tables" that will go up and down about 4-5 feet. (not practical for a small shop but veeery cool)

I currently use your methods.

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Sure - I'm in favor. Seriously, I've been happy with some 4' tube shop lights and some compact fluorescents - the color balance seems pretty good, but if I were replacing the tubes, I'd look for the full- spectrum type. The thing I actually have to contribute to this discussion is an idea I just saw in a book ("Setting Up Shop" IIRC) - the author suggested making a guard out of hardware cloth to wrap underneath shop lights, so you don't smash the bulbs when you're moving large stock. (If "hardware cloth" is not the technical term, I'm referring to the 1/2" wire mesh screen/fence stuff). I plan to use this idea soon - I've tapped the bulbs before with the end of a workpiece, but not hard enough to break them. Recessing the shop light into the ceiling between floor joists is another good idea for basement shops. Both of these are more of an issue for smaller shops, where there isn't as much room to swing stock around horizontally. Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

My shop is 35'x40, but I plan to add 10-12 feet mort this summer if I have time. Very difficult for me to heat this shop. Cooling with large fans on each end supported by chains from the roof trusses works well.

| I would like raised wood floors where I could run | my DC ducts and my electrical cables.

I am dropping electrical and Dust Collection from the ceiling/roof; dust piping underneath has stopped up too many times for a friend. I don't like the idea of wooden floors myself

| temps. I am talking 25-30 tubes in three zones.

I have 19ea F96T-12 fixtures 2-8' each. I have mine separated into two zones, but I want to break it into four later. I plan on adding a spotlight above the table saw and the shapers. My ceilings are high (12' sidewalls) and the light doesn't do well sometimes.

| I would like the DC to be in an outside room along with | the air compressor.

That has been my thinking, especially about the Dust Collector noise.

| I would want a monster DC 5HP or better.

3-HP machines suffice unless you have a wide-belt sander. | | I would want a full 40 circuit panel box.

Been there, done that w/Square-D QO

| I would want garage door lifts for those 2 12'x12' doors.

I have 12' spool-type doors and they are easy to lift with the chain. Electric operators cost as much as the doors, so maybe not.

| I would want a seperate finishing room with exhaust fans.

I do all of my shooting outside or near a door with a fan blowing it away. But, I don't finish much anymore if I can get the customer to hire a painter. The only jobs I finish myself anymore are furniture.

| I would love a "loading dock" that is variable in height.

I want, but don't have, a rolling/tilting table like sold at Louis & Company. Sheetstock is my only problem for me physically. Storage of sheet stock is another story for another day. I have pallet racks, but it don't work too well for me at my age. **taking cash donations for a Fork Lift!

| Give me a day or two and I'll come up with more... | | | | | | | Charlie Self wrote: | | | >>>I'd like to get as many ideas as I can on woodworking shop desires in | >>>the following areas (plus, of course, anything you'd like to add):

Reply to
woodstuff

I think they call it hardware mesh around here. Available in 1/4" and

1/2".

It's a good idea, and one I implemented a couple decades ago in a shop with a low ceiling, and had just about forgotten.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wed, May 9, 2007, 3:42am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth posteth: I'd like to get as many ideas as I can on woodworking shop desires in the following areas (plus, of course, anything you'd like to add):

Hi ya Charlie. Figured you had some motive in mine. Thought about this for awhile, and decided have to mix reality with dreaming.

For woodworking, I'd like a detached shop, keeps the sawdust and all down in he house. For glueups the house is fine, for small stuff. The reality is, I do have a detached shop, smaller than I'd like, but what I could afford at the time. The dream is getting the younger kid's stuff out so I've got more room. If I can get that done, I'll have enough room to pretty much do me.

The reality is, I'm working on getting a 20'X24' garage up - that'll absorb the kids stuff. The dream is I'll get any help from either of my kids

The reality is, after the garage is up, I'll get a smaller, maybe

12'X20' metal shop for me up. The metal will allow welding, etc., without worrying about catching it on fire ad burning it down. This will also provide space for larger projects of my own - boat. The dream, that I'll get he 20'X24' garage up, so I'll get my 12'X20' shop anytime son.

The reality, I'll probably be stuck with my 8'X12' woodworking shop. But, that's not so bad, because I don't work on really large stuff, and if I can get the excess out, I can shuffle my planer, lathe, saw, around easily enough, and make room to work on what I need. The dream, a wood shop for woodworking, maybe about 16'X16', this would accommodate me and my tools well enough, with no more, or little, need to shift tools around. Then my present shop could be used for wood storage, or turn it over to the sons for engine storage.

Yeah, I could dream of a big ol' shop, with a separate room for an 'office', with my books, fridge, toilet, drafting board, et al. But I know that ain't happening, so why dream? I try to keep my dreaming to something that can actually happen. Everything else I'll just stick in my fantasy file, and let Lucy Lu look after them.

All that said, what I would like, and could possibly actually come up with one day:: A wood building, I like wood, plus I think it'd be easier to heat. Detached, or course. Preferably a number of windows. Nothing too huge, maybe as large as maybe 20'X20' - something I could actually afford to build. Maybe one of the two-story type buildings I saw awhile back at a Lowes (loft and indoor stairs); that'd give wood storage, drying, up top

- but I'd need to figure out some type of elevator too, too rough on me nowadays what with my bad joints and all, hauling lumber up and down stairs. A door or some type to seal off the loft, to keep heat downstairs in the winter - open it to let the heat rise in the summer. A fan o two would be all I would need for cooling. Some type of reliable heat for the winter. Fluorescent lights, with probably some portable lights for extra lighting. Lots of drawers, not so many shelves (dust catchers). Nails in the walls and rafters to hang stuff - that's as high tech as needed, pound in nails, or pull, as needed. Things like scrollsaw, router table, lathe, bandsaw, etc., would be low enough to sit and use - bad joints, and usually can't stand for long in one place. Ah yes, almost forgot, shopmade panel saw, or some equivalent, for cutting sheet goods, probably stand along one wall, possibly in the loft. As nice as it would be to have a wood interior, I'd paint the interior, floor included, the glossiest latex paint I could find, at least two coats, preferably three, rollored on. Spray would give a smoother finish, but would be more trouble than it would be worth. Hopefully I would be able to get it fully insulated too. There it is, that's my dream shop, and one that possibly, one day, I could actually get. But until then I'll try to be properly thankful that I've got a shop period, even if it is small. Life is basically good

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Concrete reinforcing wire mesh works well and is cheap if don't need the pointy stick protection but just the large sheet...

Reply to
dpb

Yes. My wife and I built my shop about a decade ago. I'd hate to try it today. Age, if not infirmity, has slowed reflexes, sapped strength and kicked the living pee out of any real desire to do hard physical labor for much mroe than 30 minutes at a clip, preferably with a couple days between clips.

I could trade my knees for worn out garbage cans and be ahead of the game, I'm sure. VA still wants me to lose weight before they'll change wheels for me, so that may never happen.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not sure which category my shop fits in - it is detached and it was a garage - but it has 220V service, sewer line, gas line and water line. Haven't revised the shop layout diagram to reflect the JET mini/midi, wood shelves, sharpening station - but it'll give you sime ideas for a two areas shop - "clean room" and "room of noise and sawdust"

Poke around to have a look at pics of the stuff on the drawing. Particularly check out the wall hanging tool cabinets behind' the Makita sliding compound miter saw. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can store in a relatively small space - and have it all accessible.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb