Dreaming of Router bit storage

Can't get on the site you listed above. An error comes up.

Reply to
Dave

My not so fancy soloution.

Paul O.

Along with drilling thru holes in a piece of 9 ply, then attaching a piece of door skin with some brads to close the holes.

Just make sure you use backer boards to eliminate tear out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The URL wrapped to the second line. Add "story/date/366.xml" to the end of URL and it works fine. Actually looks like a pretty neat idea. Might try it in one or more of the drawers on my router table.

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Things in drawers are hidden - which is ok - unless they get hidden again under some other stuff. And little boxes inside of boxes are just as bad. Worse yet, the boxes tend to hide from you - often under a stack of stuff you piled on top of them. (OK - so I'm the only one here who has to do an archeological dig to find something "I just set down a moment ago".

My vote is to store router bits in a wall hanging cabinet. Hard to stack things - on a wall. And if you hang the cabinet on the wall closest to the router table . . .

And if you're gonna make a cabinet for the router bits - why not cooper the doors? If you make some minor mistakes along the way - HEY it's JUST SHOP FURNITURE! (and what you learn may show up in some future "house furniture" project. Coopered doors aren't rocket science things. Try it, it's easier than you think.

coopered doors were easy. The knife hinges weren't. It's the little stuff that causes all the grief.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

My first set of frame and panel doors sit on my bench cabinet. It also holds my first set of hand dovetailed drawers. I got over excited planing the horns of the styles so there is a curve to the tops ;-) and the crappy plywood delaminated in places as I cut the dovetails but as you say the experience is invaluable.

My router bits sit in a large pull out tray arrangement below the drawers on full extension sliders. It is in essence a piece of 18mm mdf drilled with groups of different sized, blind ended holes. Currently it holds 6 and 8mm router bits, screwdriver bits and every drill bit that doesn't have its own case. Works well for me.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby