Drawing to reality, with much too much time in-between.

This is not quite done - the bookcases need to be mounted to the wall - and not quite on the level of the projects I see displayed here, but I'm pretty proud that this ...

has recently become this ...

Gotta finish it so I can apply my non-existent free time to the next project. This is how it starts, isn't it.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Looks great. Good proportion, good color, well executed and I just love that

70's paneling in between.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks. It's all straight lines (theoretically) and no drawers, but you have to start somewhere. I made plenty of mistakes to speed up the learning process while I was at it. Intentionally, of course.

Yeah, I may rip that out, at least on that wall, before I install the bookcases.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Yep ... slippery slope embarked upon in earnest.

You have good reason to be proud. Well done ... excellent execution of your plan.

Congratulations!

Reply to
Swingman

Good job. They look great.

And Karl is right, you stuck to your plan. Sometimes, in mid project, we (can I say We?) may have a tendency to switch or alter plans, in some way, and things can get more difficult or troublesome. *There are times when one may need to alter plans, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks.

I say We?) may have a tendency to switch or alter plans, in some way, and things can get more difficult or troublesome. *There are times when one may need to alter plans, also.

Well...

I made a number of changes ion CAD first, which is considerably easier than doing it on the wood. I had originally divided the narrow units into three equal sections, and the wide units into four. I liked the "look" of that, but then I went about measuring our (large) collection of books and decided I needed more shelf space for the shortest books. And while I did stick to the planned dimensions, there was quite a lot of head-scratching along the way and some resulting alteration to the planned "methods".

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Looks great and as a benefit it is always great to build something with a lot of useful storage.

Reply to
Leon

Yup. These bookcases sit atop other bookcases too. It's always a nice thing to make use of vertical space in a small house. Thanks for the kind words.

Reply to
Amy Guarino

Thanks. And thanks to all for the help along the way.

Reply to
Amy Guarino

_____________

You think you're busy now? Wait until you retire...

Reply to
dadiOH

Great job, Greg! Now you get to buy a bigger flat screen to fit between them. It just looks terrible with that little TV there. At least, that's how I'd explain it to wife. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's a great suggestion, it might be less trouble ane expensive than replacing the paneling.

Reply to
Leon

replacing the paneling.

LOL. +1

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

And if they miss the look most modern TVs can show photos, so all he's got to do is take a picture of some paneling.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
GeneT

Greg, Do you feel any inclination to add a conice between the two bookcases? Just a thought. Maybe that is 1960s thinking, I'm not sure.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

As I drew it originally it had an optional "bridge", like this:

Seeing it in the uh, flesh, I'm awfully tempted to add it on. It would be a much simpler project, by virtue of its smaller size.

Reply to
Amy Guarino

Easily "hung" between both side cabinets! Maybe even let the center bridge face frame overlap the side cabinet face frames to hide any possible gap. I have used this method on 2 or 3 big projects lately.

Reply to
Leon

Whatever you do there, it seems likely to end up as a focal point. You could even have "a panel with an eagle on it", or something equally out of the box! Somehow I think another book shelf there would be a wasted opportunity. I thinkyouhave a perfect opportunity to make it personal. After all of your hard work, you deserveit!

Bill

Reply to
Bill