Drawing the Line...

Page 7 of 7
Kevlar string. Stretches about as much as wire and easier to handle.

could
And widely available too. Simply unravel your bulletproof vest. :-)
-Jack

Here are a few tricks for pattern transfers. For these you have to use a photocopy or laser printer output. One way to transfer the image is to set your pattern (printed side down) on the wood piece and iron it with a very hot flat (i.e. clothes) iron. This softens the toner and allows some of it to transfer to the wood. Using the same technique but without the iron, apply the pattern to the wood (printed side down) and dampen the back of the paper with mineral spirits. This will also transfer some of the toner to the wood.
I personally have never tried these ideas but have heard they work.
Ken Gunter
CH-47D Chinook Pilot http://www.ch47.org snipped-for-privacy@ch47.org

result
Lowly carbon paper works well for transferring full size patterns to wood also ... even David J. Marks has been known to use it ... on TV, no less.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Print it out on multiple sheets.

result

I also use a computer to draw shapes. If I need to make a large template, whether it's an oval, or a completely free form design, I scale it at 1:4 on the computer, then take it to Kinko's who can enlarge it 4:1 . . . i.e. . . to accurate full scale. This assumes of course that your design can fit on a single page at 1:4. I then use 3m adhesive or clear schotch tape to apply it to the wood substrate and cut away . . .If your shape doesn't fit on a single page at 1:4, then you have to tile multiple pages together.
Rick
Rick Stein wrote:

Or print it on a large format printer, also at some Kinko's. One Kinko's in this area has a 48" wide printer. I think you can do it from home and have the FedEx guy deliver the output.
http://www.kinkos.com/products/business/index.php?sol=&sec=p2k
-- Mark

(which
Rick, note that not all enlargements are accurate. Frequently things are enlarged in one direction more than in the other. There are other optical distortions which can occur as well. For a table top it might not matter, but always check your final drawing to see that it is correct before cutting it out.
-Jack
CW responds:

Print it out in multiple sheets, lay it on the wood and run a pounce wheel along the lines to be cut. Dust chalk on the line, and remove the sheets.
Charlie Self
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
Not sure who even started this thread but it appears to have ended up as a thread on new math And i do not know even if this will work for you. It is what i use to draw an oval
http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/math/ovals.htm
Good luck, George

(which
exact