Drawing the Line...

Page 5 of 7
I believe you're confusing lens elasticity w/eyeball shape. The eyeball being out of round, so to speak, is what causes near/farsightedness. Loss of lens elasticity as one ages is what leads to needing reading glasses, especially in lower light situations.
Renata

Trent wrote:

That's one up on playing one on TV.
Silvan wrote:

I went out and got an analog clock for the house when #1 daughter asked, "Dad, which way is clockwise?". #2 daughter has never had that problem. I'm old enough to remember when the small town in eastern Washington where we lived at the time converted from a switch board in a lady's living room to a new-fangled electric exchange. The death of crank phones and party lines was on the horizon. (1953 BTW)
How many people now can even understand George Carlin's question, "When you dial O, do you give your finger a free ride back?"?
ARM

I was watching a commercial yesterday...and then I remembered...
The old phones used to have BELLS...instead of those fake electronic rings we get now.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
"Trent" wrote:

Maybe you ought to tell that to all of those who believe that cell phones can start fires at gas stations when they ring. (Hint: they don't ring, it's just a noise through a speaker, and speakers don't spark in normal operation).
I think it has to do with possible arcing in the battery or other components while transmitting. (Hint: there's usually a reason)

Non of the components in a cell phone arc.

Not even if there's a gap? Then there's induction....

Spark gap transmitters went out a long time ago. No, cell phones do not arc. Probably the root of the reason that they don't want you using cell phones a filling stations is the old "get off the phone and pay attention to what you are doing" bit. The rumor mills, being what they are, took it from there.

Hint: Sometimes people are just stupid. (not you of course, the person who told it to you) http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
-Jack

Well, you know how that goes. Thirty years of being fooled by the "intrinsically safe" standard.

I would be more worried about being hit by lightning. The chances are greater.

What? Cell phones attract lightning? Oh, I gotta send that message to all my friends.
-Jack

Oh god, another rumer :)

Silvan wrote:

movement. Unless of course you have great metal working ability, are a gear hobber, have mucho metal working machinery (or a lot of files). However; a wooden movement is not out of the question if you have great woodworking ability, can be the woodworking equivalent of a gear hobber, only really need hand tools. I often thought of building a wooden wristwatch to match my pen, but however I don't have great ...... Regards, Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Movements are expen$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ive, and it looks like a cool project for some day, when I have the skills.
I have an extremely detailed set of articles which explain it all, and I definitely have the necessary information. It's just a question of acquiring the skills.

The current issue of Fine Woodworking has a half page promo for a clock bulding seminar in Colonial Williamsburg in January. There is supposed to be an expert on the movements talking about them, though I don't know how deeply he will be delving into that subject. It is a woodworking seminar, really.
Just got my copy of FWW on Saturday, and wasted a lot of time reading it Sunday. ;-)
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Sounds expensive. Take a video camera when you go, and bring me the tape. :)

I should go check that out, 'cept I bet I can't afford it. Dang it. I took SWMBO out to dinner at Burger King and that shot my budget for the week.
I am SO sick of being broke.
(Yeah, well, it would help if I hadn't just bought a $200 lathe, but I'm trying to wallow in self pity here.)

I know, they didn't mention the price. I figured if they aren't telling me the price, I don't have to ask, I can't afford it.

Me too.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Charlie Self wrote:

Yup.
"Bill, that cigar really stinks." Hillary Rodham Clinton (as a Ms.)