DRAWING A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK

Page 1 of 2
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES
On Sep 19, 9:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@plattscsd.org wrote:

I am interested in your problem. Mechanical drafting was one of the first trades that I learned, redrawing the projects my older brother brought home from school. It has been a central function to the work I have accomplished over a lifetime, and it is disheartening that mechanical drafting is no longer considered viable trade craft to be formally taught in secondary education...displaced by the misbegotten idea that computer drafting is the greater technology. One night on Charlie Rose, Charles Gwathmey, world-renowned architect, explained that the computer is great for layering complex drawings, but true design can only be accomplished by a man's ability to perceive with the eye and articulate with the hand. Thus man remains the greater technology of this most primal communicative art. Your border and title block will be dependent upon the size and subject of your drawing and the relevant information you need to convey. Let's start with subject first. Is this a working drawing that will be used in shop? Will it be revised?
Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 7:25am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@plattscsd.org doth come in and scream out: I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES
Well, well, aren't we the fortunate ones? I just checked and seemingly this is your first post ever on-line. You might want to keep in mind that all caps is the same as shouting, and is not well thought of. Teacher, eh? Best check your punctuation and spelling. Yeah, I can see where you could have difficulties, if you're trying to do a boarder that objects.
On 19 Sep, 13:01, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but...
Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem?
A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade, all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks and a willing student and he would amaze you.
Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down for poor grammar skills.
Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet? Thanks...
-- Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal -- apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that -- you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet? -- Thanks...
I don't think there was such a thing as a "formal apprenticeship" when he was learning the trade. He'd be 105 if he were alive to today, so we're talking at least 80 - 85 years ago when he began laying brick. If he learned the trade the way he taught it, it was from experienced mason's willing to help hard working people trying to support their families.
Two things I remember very clearly:
1 - The smell of Lestoil as we washed our hands together when he got home from work. I'd be visiting, waiting for him to come home, and we'd go down to the basement utility sink to wash up before dinner. He had this old wide mouth jar filled with Lestoil and he'd pour a big, thick dollop into our hands.
2 - We were pouring a new stoop at my house in NYC. He explained the reason why you had to make sure each step had exactly the same rise and run: "The feet remember." You can't explain it much simpler than that!
If you want to see some of his work, just drive past the old paper factories in Holyoke, MA. He laid thousands amd thousands of bricks for those buildings.
As an engineering studeant it was a badge of honor to be a bad spellerer. I'm not sure I ever passed an english class with much more than a C and even that was by luck usually.

doth come in and

Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)doty sayeth: Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but... Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem? A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade, all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks and a willing student and he would amaze you. Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down for poor grammar skills.
Bullshit. ANY certified teacher is expected to at least know how to use basic punctuation. I knew how to use periods and question marks by the time I was in the third grade. I bet your grandpa knew how to use them too. It just makes me think this guy isn't much of a teacher.
If you can't speel, that makes it all the more important to check your spelling. If the guy wants to do a boarder, that's between him and the boarder. If the guy wants to do a border, that's something entirely different.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:32:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Common sense (remember that from our era?) would indicate that if you are going to teach something, you should be able to write it correctly on a blackboard or whatever they use now..
OTOH, maybe "boarder" has something to do with "boards" and I'm not familiar with the term??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
*snip*

Maybe a complex all-in-one machine that saws a tree in to strips, then does a rough plane and seals the end? Or a person who performs the process?

Puckdropper

J T wrote:

Looks like he's not the only one who "can't speel".

Ain't it da troot? - The Cowardly Lion
--John
Fri, Sep 21, 2007, 9:24am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) doth sayeth: Looks like he's not the only one who "can't speel".
Damn, forgot to use my speel checker.

Perhaps not, but they should know how to spell "sketch" and "border" Your ready acceptance of poor language skills is one of the reasons the students are doing so poorly in school If we have low expectations of both students and teachers so we get crap. The goal should be to raise the standard, not lower it.
While your grandfather may have been a great mason, I bet he wanted your father and you to have a better education than he had no matter what trade or profession you pursued in life. .

Why do you assume the class is in English?
writes:

It is in Plattsburgh NY. Plattsburgh City School Districts http://www.plattscsd.org /
If it is in the USA, it should be taught in English, the language we use to communicate. It is a good thing to teach other languages for the sake of learning to communicate with others in their native country but English should be used otherwise in the US. It is also useful with tourist visiting our country. When I visit other countries, I try to learn a bit of their language
English is taught in may other countries so we damned well should do that here too.
BTW, all four of my grandparents came to this country from Poland. They all learned English.

Ah. Sorry 'bout that.
were very good and a better place for your query.
Tim w

Shows my age...I just caught on that sketchup is some damn software program. But the joke is on you, if you need 45 minutes on the computer to do a thirty-second sketch. The instruction here is...working with pencil and paper develops the skills for determining scale and proportion, that starting with advanced technologies will deny to the student.
On Sep 19, 10:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@plattscsd.org wrote:

For FUCK sakes, DOOOODE, learn protocol AND English?
*shakes my head in disbelief* Teacher, huh?