DRAWING A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK

I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES

Reply to
kwest

I am interested in your problem. Mechanical drafting was one of the first trades that I learned, redrawing the projects my older brother brought home from school. It has been a central function to the work I have accomplished over a lifetime, and it is disheartening that mechanical drafting is no longer considered viable trade craft to be formally taught in secondary education...displaced by the misbegotten idea that computer drafting is the greater technology. One night on Charlie Rose, Charles Gwathmey, world-renowned architect, explained that the computer is great for layering complex drawings, but true design can only be accomplished by a man's ability to perceive with the eye and articulate with the hand. Thus man remains the greater technology of this most primal communicative art. Your border and title block will be dependent upon the size and subject of your drawing and the relevant information you need to convey. Let's start with subject first. Is this a working drawing that will be used in shop? Will it be revised?

Reply to
DAClark

Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 7:25am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@plattscsd.org doth come in and scream out: I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES

Well, well, aren't we the fortunate ones? I just checked and seemingly this is your first post ever on-line. You might want to keep in mind that all caps is the same as shouting, and is not well thought of. Teacher, eh? Best check your punctuation and spelling. Yeah, I can see where you could have difficulties, if you're trying to do a boarder that objects.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but...

Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem?

A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade, all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks and a willing student and he would amaze you.

Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down for poor grammar skills.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet? Thanks...

Reply to
DAClark

As an engineering studeant it was a badge of honor to be a bad spellerer. I'm not sure I ever passed an english class with much more than a C and even that was by luck usually.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Not a badge of honor for me though. Jim

Reply to
Jim

When I used to use Sketchup borders and title blocks were things it just didn't even pretend to do. You had to to export a dxf or a jpeg to another program for that sort of presentation. That was V4, maybe it has changed.

The forums at @last were very good and a better place for your query.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

-- Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal

-- apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that

-- you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet?

-- Thanks...

I don't think there was such a thing as a "formal apprenticeship" when he was learning the trade. He'd be 105 if he were alive to today, so we're talking at least 80 - 85 years ago when he began laying brick. If he learned the trade the way he taught it, it was from experienced mason's willing to help hard working people trying to support their families.

Two things I remember very clearly:

1 - The smell of Lestoil as we washed our hands together when he got home from work. I'd be visiting, waiting for him to come home, and we'd go down to the basement utility sink to wash up before dinner. He had this old wide mouth jar filled with Lestoil and he'd pour a big, thick dollop into our hands.

2 - We were pouring a new stoop at my house in NYC. He explained the reason why you had to make sure each step had exactly the same rise and run: "The feet remember." You can't explain it much simpler than that!

If you want to see some of his work, just drive past the old paper factories in Holyoke, MA. He laid thousands amd thousands of bricks for those buildings.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)doty sayeth: Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but... Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem? A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade, all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks and a willing student and he would amaze you. Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down for poor grammar skills.

Bullshit. ANY certified teacher is expected to at least know how to use basic punctuation. I knew how to use periods and question marks by the time I was in the third grade. I bet your grandpa knew how to use them too. It just makes me think this guy isn't much of a teacher.

If you can't speel, that makes it all the more important to check your spelling. If the guy wants to do a boarder, that's between him and the boarder. If the guy wants to do a border, that's something entirely different.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

For FUCK sakes, DOOOODE, learn protocol AND English?

*shakes my head in disbelief* Teacher, huh?
Reply to
Robatoy

Shows my age...I just caught on that sketchup is some damn software program. But the joke is on you, if you need 45 minutes on the computer to do a thirty-second sketch. The instruction here is...working with pencil and paper develops the skills for determining scale and proportion, that starting with advanced technologies will deny to the student.

Reply to
DAClark

First sketch the boarder. Have him or her sit by the table where you and the boarder have your meals. That would make a nice homey picture.

Once done with the boarder, make a rectangular block for the title and have the boarder sign it. You can title it "Boarder at Dinner"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Perhaps not, but they should know how to spell "sketch" and "border" Your ready acceptance of poor language skills is one of the reasons the students are doing so poorly in school If we have low expectations of both students and teachers so we get crap. The goal should be to raise the standard, not lower it.

While your grandfather may have been a great mason, I bet he wanted your father and you to have a better education than he had no matter what trade or profession you pursued in life. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why do you assume the class is in English?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Common sense (remember that from our era?) would indicate that if you are going to teach something, you should be able to write it correctly on a blackboard or whatever they use now..

OTOH, maybe "boarder" has something to do with "boards" and I'm not familiar with the term??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

And if you eat too much, you get broader?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

Maybe a complex all-in-one machine that saws a tree in to strips, then does a rough plane and seals the end? Or a person who performs the process?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 7:25am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@plattscsd.org stumbled in and mumbled: I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES

Upon thinking a bit more on this, the following question comes to mind: Why choose rec.woodworking, to ask something like this, instead of one of the computer newsgroups, or forums? Oh yes, dags plattscsd.org and you come up with high school in NY. Kinda makes me wonder if it's not another school kid, wanting someone to do his homework for him.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Most likely as there isn't a K. West listed for the staff:

Nova