If you would care to see something similar, with even more hp behind it, visit: http://www.wolframalpha.com
Then type in say:
1) integrate sin(x)
or
2) your first name
or
3) population of Lansing
or something else...
: I don't think I've seen many threads on drawing/sketching here.
: A point of view I'm considering is that it's difficult to "design" : anything without being able to sketch. Thus I've developed some interest : in improving my skills in this area.
Same with me. I can draw and draft pretty easily (old style) for a front-on view of things, but I am going to brush up on my perspective skills to do other views. I've played with Sketchup, but it sems terribly slow for doing an initial quick mock-up of a design idea. The book I coincidentally bought yesterday seems quite good: Perspective Without Pain, by Phil Metzger. It's quick and has practice drawingsof various things, including boxes, tables, arches and cylindrical objects.
: Coincidentally, the newest issue of FWW, which arrived a few days ago, : contained an article encouraging "old fashioned formal drawing", on $38 : paper (containing perspective lines...), using a a t-square and a : drawing board and addititional wasted $ for tracing equipment, etc.. : IMO, I almost feel like the author should apologize in the next issue : and show how to do everything better, faster and cheaper on SketchUp!
I plan to try (once again) to learn Sktchup at some point, but I need to be convinced it isn't a slow way to get the same result.
: Ironically, I wouldn't say SketchUp is for sketching as I have used the : term above.
My experience as well.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

I hadn't run across that book. Based upon what I was able to browse, it looks like a really good choice. One reviewer said that the title "lied", which I don't think is a bad sign in this case.

Well, based upon my experience, it will be ALOT Slower at first. Then, after watching twenty something video lessons, putting in a few dozen hours or practice,and maybe reading a book (not necessarily in that order), it will be ALOT Faster.
I think if you play around with it like a toy, rather than needing to get work done, it will come faster. For my practice, I regularly used SU to create a simple house with a roof, door, window, etc., starting from scratch every time. I suspect I can make one in under a minute now. One can furnish it from the Google Warehouse. Somehow then it becomes more time-consuming (resizing, rotating,...), but I'm becoming more adept at that too. I'm sure I'll learn something new about SU on every project I try.
I believe Leon and Swingman are the SU experts here. Someone here will surely try to help you if you get stuck.
Cheers, Bill