Drawing

If you read it young enough, it will warp you for life (in a good way).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Your welcome. Another book that was mentioned here that complements both "How To Draw What You See" and "How To Draw With The Right Side Of Your Brain", is "Perspective Without Pain". I've got the latter on request from my library. You can browse a bit of each of them at Amazon.com. I think you can get a feel for them from the reviews people write too. Happy sketching!

BTW, the LumberJocks.com website emailed me today to let me know they are giving away $500 for the best birdhouse (by popular vote). Winning starts with a good sketch. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

An associated tome I found helpful was _How To Look At Everything_ by David Finn. Warm and wonderful, it sets the mood.

Also check out books by Claudia Nice [watercolor, ink, and pen] and Lee Hammond [acrylics (my fave) and colored pencil drawing.] Both are prolific writers.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It has 3 reviews at Amazon.com. The longest paragraph in the 1st review is the one that, to me, seems the most telling: The gist of it is that there is no "How To" in the book. What did you find helpful about it? Obviously, we all enjoy what we enjoy and I think even that varies from month to month, week to week, and day to day... Gosh, that last sentence came out practically poetic. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in while! : )

Reply to
Bill

It was a look at things from a whole different perspective. Kinda like reading a book by Krenov. Refreshing and thought-provoking.

Ayup.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I forgot to comment on the reviews: They should have stuck with their copies of Dumb and Dumberer. They obviously have no imagination.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think what Krenov left me with is a reverence for wood that I'll never shake. And when someone acuses me of being A-R, all I have to do is think of him and I feel sort of validated...lol : )

Oh, so now you're calling me a blind squirrel! Maybe without my glasses.. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, they are probably not Wreckers. IIRC, the 3rd reviewer actually liked the book. I will keep my eyes open for it.

Reply to
Bill

This is A Good Thing(tm), Bill. Lord Roy, Krenov, Eric Sloane (who wrote _A Reverence for Wood_), and maybe even Norm (of Normite fame) all did that for me. Roy and Eric were first.

Har! I can just hear you brainmumbling "See? I'm not the worst."

Oh, I thought you were talking about me. Never mind. ;)

P.S: The god of wood known as Lord Roy actually goes by the name Roy Underhill.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Har! You say worst like it's a bad thing. On my recent DP baseboard project, I was building a drilling template so that I would place my (relatively fancy) screws (3) consistently in the proper position at the end of each of the five 2by8 boards.

I seemed to have trouble marking the exact center of the template, just a short 2by8 board, with a knife. I was trying to mark it with my Starrett combination square to the nearest 64th, or better (a little joke). I never measured 64ths before or used a knife to mark wood and I encountering difficulty. I ended up taking my bifocals off and got my eyes right down there next to the knife and the rule and it occurred to me that working like that was almost dangerous and that Mike or Larry would probably acuse me of being A-R about it! About that time I remembered to prop the rule up and I learned to use one eye due to my astigmatism, which probably accounts for some of my difficulty. In retrospect, using a 1 1/2" thick drilling template surely negated most of my "precision" anyway, but that did not occur to me at the time. So, I got a few good lessons from my unnecessary drilling template... BTW, it really IS TRUE that a center-punch (or chisel, I guess) will find the marks cut by a knife better than ones marked by a pencil! In fact, if two cut lines cross you can center-punch their point of intersection perfectly without even looking--and I enjoyed taking all of the advantage of that...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fancy heads on screws hidden in the attic? Um, OK.

Hah! Deflection, if I ever saw it.

Why not abuse a pair of dial calipers next time? Open them to the measurement you want, hang one side off the tubawhatever, and mark with the knife at the other jaw, or scribe directly with the stainless jaw of the dial calipers. I do that regularly with a pair of Chinese dial calipers bought 25+ years ago, and the jaw's still there, looking practically new. (Don't anyone mention this to anyone over in Wreck.Metalheads, though. They'd have heart attacks.)

Alternatively, measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe.

Ball's in your court.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I do that all the time too. Why on earth hasn't somebody yet invented a good woodworker's marking tool with a dial caliper gauge built into it?

Reply to
Steve Turner

Not a bad idea... Anyway you can eke up to the center line from both sides sounds like a reasonable approach. Of course, pencil lines are too wide to use!

Bill

I do that regularly with a pair of Chinese

Reply to
Bill

This technique is not good enough for the metal workers, huh? What's wrong with 'em? LOL

Reply to
Bill

They want stuff, even wood, measured down to the tenths. No, no. We're talkin' 0.0001". Hmm, you'd probably get along with 'em.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, I assume you mean that as a compliment! : ) If your goal is to make stringed instruments, you need to position those frets just right!

Reply to
Bill

But of course!

Soooo, how many wooddorkers are also luthiers, hmmm?

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, the CEO of Grizzly, for one. He's got pictures of quite a few of his instruments on the Grizzly web site and in the Grizzly catalog.

Reply to
Bill

I'd *like* to be, at some point, but I don't play any stringed instruments so that's a bit of a hurdle. I have Cumpiano and Natelson's "Guitar Making" book sitting on my shelf that I occasionally study with great interest, and maybe someday I'll take the dive. But even if I don't, I still want my measuring and marking tools to be as accurate as possible. For some of the stuff I build, I get pretty anal about the joinery. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner