Drawing

It challenges you to draw what you actually see, not what you *think* you see. Turn a rocking chair upside down, and you no longer have a relevant, though flawed "model" of it in your brain. Turn the finished drawing over, and it looks surprisingly more realistic; your seeing brain is forced to work more like a camera.
Larry Jaques wrote:

To me, it seems like the important part of that is that it forces you to create an store an image in your brain. It's analogous to trying to play guitar without really having a tune in your head. By this point I have managed to learn to do both to some degree. The blues singer Son (Eddie) House expressed the idea most-eloquently: "Until you've got that song in your head you ain't gonna do s$#t!" Seriously, I wish I had really understand that sooner!
It is probably true that in an involved drawing involving many things, my use of perspective may not be consistent. That's probably one of my critical areas for improvement. So this might be improved by drawing upside down, huh?
Maybe it would be fun to share our drawings..anyone interested? We could pick something interesting. And then we could post links to our drawings here.

Glad to see the tree is able to stick up for itself! ; )

I've watched The Woodwright's Shop online and some YouTube videos. I haven't tried a movie yet, so you're ahead of me. My wife watches Netflix movies on her IPad. I'm rather myopic for that sort of thing.
Bill

Grok that.

I think she wants to expand our knowledge of perspective. She has all sorts of interesting little chore drawings in the book. I have the older version, 1st ed, I believe.

Too many women, so little time...

Ooh, tacky!

You'd rather be wooddorking than myoping around, eh?
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
Larry Jaques wrote:

I had to look "grok" up in the dictionary to see which side you were on! I was someone surprised to find the word.

Sounds like fun. I generally like "graded" exercises.

You could even sketch people grok'ing if you want...

There I was apologizing, then I noticed... That's really terrible! ;)

Maybe you need to type a taping glass???

Now read the book. It's marvelous! Everything by Heinlein was excellent. _Stranger in a Strange Land_

As we say in AA: Some are sicker than others.

Thet's "focking", sir.

Thank you.

Three question marks? Tres gauche.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, I started by reading about it (at Amazon). Sounds interesting! "Engineering Drawing" arrived in the mail today. Still need to finish putting together by BS--and then my lights! So many challenges so little time... I got side-tracked a little by researching how to move table saurs 200 miles (that topic has already been adequately discussed elsewhere).
Cheers, Bill

When I need a reference, I mostly refer back to my trusty Fundamentals Of Engineering Graphics. Cecil Jensen and Fred Mason McGraw-Hill Ryerson. ISBN 0-07-54929
It was previously called Drafting Fundamentals. My original 1967 copy was replaced in 1988. It is seriously dated from a CAD perspective, but still a good book when it is time to come back down to earth.
Robatoy wrote:

I chose an edition (1966) without CAD on purpose, so the 30-40 year old technology wouldn't distract me from the ideas I selected the book for. The "constructions" (compass/triangle/straight-edge) are intriguing, and it looks like the book will show me how to "print" my characters and digits all over again. Looks like I'll have a 2nd chance to improve my (lefty) handwriting. :)
Bill

Look it up online at your local library.

Your wife reads these, does she? <giggle>

I wrestled Dina into the bed of my truck with a rope and comealong, then dropped her the same way. She was lighter, at #300 or so. Pickup and drop time took maybe ten minutes, including rigging.
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Actually, I couldn't get her to look (for some reason).. As you turn the pages, published in 1966, you can practically feel an important era being reborn--I was just barely born myself. I have, just 10 feet away, the drafting set pictured in fig. 2.20, page 27. I also know that my dad would expect me to take darn good care of it! That was a good lesson from dad: "Take care of your tools". Also they are no good if you don't know where they are: "Put them back when you're through with them!"
Bill
Bill wrote:

If you mean, does she read my newsgroup posts, then no. She has her own computer and is more of a Facebok than a Usenet user. I crossed over my normal boundary line in telling her about the green walnut crotch...that ought to keep her away from here for good! lol ; )

Har!
Excellent advice.
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:13:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
<snip>

Are you talking about a saw or your last date? ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

-------- Which could explain why Larry is single.
On Jun 21, 10:07am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Really, if it is THAT hard to get a girl to go out on a date....

Dina, my 1920s tablesaur from Hollywood, CA, of course. I won't even entertain the thought of that other possibility, you venomous vixen bastid, Yack. Petite is where it's at. Young Lucy Lawless was one exception. You can keep your Rosie O'Donnels to yourself, thankyouverymuch. Ewwwwww!
3 lists, w/ overlap: http://goo.gl/B9ROJ and http://goo.gl/vOhda and http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-petite-short-actresses.html Any of these ladies would do just fine. Look at Nia Peeples at age 50! http://goo.gl/ZdU2K (Ouch!, 2550x3300 pixels, not optimized, but you can see her pores and nary a wrinkle. She's amazing.)
[quick topic change] This just in: http://goo.gl/s04ot Let's build one!
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

If you read it young enough, it will warp you for life (in a good way).
scott
Larry Jaques wrote:

Maybe you can tell them that you draw temporary-tattoos... That way you can try to kill two birds with one stone... lol Sorry, maybe I'm getting a little carried away... Actually after I turned off the computer yesterday, I seated one of my wife's stuffed animals and sketched it. I hope your subjects are ..emmm... less furry! : )
Bill

UNbearded clams are my favorite. (find -that- one in your dictionary)
BTW, Google has a quicker-than-a-dictionary lookup service. Type in 'define: ' and your word (define: grok) and come back with much more context than a dictionary.
P.S: I thought you didn't do animals...
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice to know. Thanks.

I think I said I wasn't interested in *reading* about how to draw them. in high school I spent a lot of time drawing fish (like trout and bass). I did an oil painting of a moose back then that I'm still have pride in (LOL). It's Definitely Not that I draw animals so well. I think I can eke out an outline of just about anything you put before me at that level of mediocrity that I described earlier. But I am not seeking to invest time and energy in sketching beasts and fishes now. Not even relatives!