Drawing

Page 3 of 6
On 6/14/2011 6:56 PM, Han wrote:

Seems most of the Festool stuff is incremented in mm.
I have a Calculated Industries construction calculator on both my DroidX, and the real thing in the shop, that I'm continually inputting the likes of 21 3/16" to give me 538.1625mm to set my parallel guide rails when cutting sheet goods to size.
I'm good to go ... as long as the electrons are flowing. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You're not good with those _big_ numbers, eh, Swingy?
I was a lot better with sizes when I had to wrench bolts all day every day. My eyes were in dial caliper mode, I think. Ditto when I was working as a QA inspector and had a surface plate in front of me at least part of every week.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb
RonB wrote:

Thanks RonB. I just ordered the 1966 edition for $6.94 including S&H. Newer editions ceded to graphing technology, and I don't wish to read about 1970s graphing technology! : ) Thank you for the suggestion; based upon your experience with it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I may need to assemble a make-shift drafting table...
I hope Larry appreciates that I just dug deep and made the purchase instead of hemming and hawing and "over thinking" it! ; )
Bill
I went through a pretty intensive two year course in

I'll draw fire for this, but

RonB wrote:

------------------------------ French & Vierck.
Still have mine, it's an eighth edition, published 1953.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hmmm.. The one I ordered is "Fundamentals of Engineering Drawing" Second Edition,same authors as above, published 1966. Appears that you used the "Manual of Engineering Drawing". Between the two, the 2nd one sounds tougher!
Bill
Bill wrote:

I determined that the fundamentals book is shorter (365 pages, I think) and contains the first 13 chapters of the other book. I sense that my sketches are going to school! :)
Bill
Bill wrote:

----------------------------- Neither of us stuttered, "Engineering Drawing" is the correct title.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I understand, but please look at this page for instance:
Bill
Bill wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)08127547&sr=8-28 ----------------------------- Don't have a clue
Lew

Probably the previous edition of the one Lew and I own. The Amazon page notes Thomas French as the Author and Charles Vierick as the editor. I just looked at my copy and it is a 1953 edition. The previous edition was 1947 -- probably this one. There were several more previous editions dating back to an original in 1911. This string caused me to take some time to look through my 1953 version and it makes me wonder what is in the first version. I am guessing the front matter is similar to the ones we own - Basic drafting practices. Maybe the updates incorporate technology over the years.
It probably sounds a little flippant to say drafting is drafting. But drafting is pretty close to being a lost art.
CAD isn't drafting.
RonB

OK, OK - That last response made me remember a conversion I had with an old airframe draftsman buddy at least 15 years ago.
Ralph was a designer on a couple versions of the B52 weapons systems in the 1960's and 1970's. As the B-52 was modernized some of the original drawings were redone in CAD and CATIA, others were not. Boeing landed a contract to do Change Order incorporation on some of the old drawings and their fair-haired young CATIA Whizzes didn't have a clue of what to do with them. Boeing started rounding up some of the old draftsmen that produced the drawings, and finally badgered and bribed Ralph into coming out of retirement for a year or so to update and clean up the drawings. He said he went into it with a lot of anxiety because he really didn't want to un-retire, and he was afraid he was out of tune with current methods. Not so! He was in the same room with a group of young, contract CATIA-drivers who were drawing around $70-80 per hour. He, and other old farts, were sitting at drafting tables that Boeing dug out of salvage, using vintage equipment and earning $150 per hour. The young bucks thought these old guys were some kind of magicians.
RonB

It does. The one I saw on Amazon was titled _Engineering Drawing and Graphic Technology_, a large gray hardcover by French, Vierck, and Foster. It sounds as if you found the right one for you, Bill.
-- "The history of temperature change over time is related to the shape of the continents, the shape of the sea floor, the pulling apart of the crust, the stitching back together of the crust, the opening and closing of sea ways, changes in the Earth's orbit, changes in solar energy, supernoval eruptions, comet dust, impacts by comets and asteroids, volcanic activity, bacteria, soil formation, sedimentation, ocean currents, and the chemistry of air. If we humans, in a fit of ego, think we can change these normal planetary processes, then we need stronger medication." --Ian Plimer _Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science_

Sacre bleu! Not only am I stunned, but I have a neener: I found it for a PENNY on Amazon.
Congrats. I hope you and Ron see things the same way, draftwise.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

Did you ever get an answer not related to drafting/architectural? Coincidentally I was looking at books on drawing yesterday at B&N and was not satisfied with the selection. Saw most of those you mentioned including the one you said you might order. I diverge, in that I am interested in also doing color work.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yes Lobby, "Engineering Drawing", known at Amazon.com as "Manual of Engineering Drawing" appears to be a well-thought-of standard for the craft and was used in college by several of the folks here. I ordered a version of it. I went back to the used book store to pick up the book "How To Draw What You See", but someone else found it. I'll probably collect a copy of it sometime. It looked a lot better to me than most of the "how to draw" books. There are a lot of reviews of it and sample pages to read at Amazon.
Cheers, Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Your welcome. Another book that was mentioned here that complements both "How To Draw What You See" and "How To Draw With The Right Side Of Your Brain", is "Perspective Without Pain". I've got the latter on request from my library. You can browse a bit of each of them at Amazon.com. I think you can get a feel for them from the reviews people write too. Happy sketching!
BTW, the LumberJocks.com website emailed me today to let me know they are giving away $500 for the best birdhouse (by popular vote). Winning starts with a good sketch. : )
Bill
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:14:43 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

An associated tome I found helpful was _How To Look At Everything_ by David Finn. Warm and wonderful, it sets the mood.
Also check out books by Claudia Nice [watercolor, ink, and pen] and Lee Hammond [acrylics (my fave) and colored pencil drawing.] Both are prolific writers.
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams
Larry Jaques wrote:

    It has 3 reviews at Amazon.com. The longest paragraph in the 1st review is the one that, to me, seems the most telling: The gist of it is that there is no "How To" in the book. What did you find helpful about it? Obviously, we all enjoy what we enjoy and I think even that varies from month to month, week to week, and day to day... Gosh, that last sentence came out practically poetic. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in while! : )

It was a look at things from a whole different perspective. Kinda like reading a book by Krenov. Refreshing and thought-provoking.

Ayup.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London