drawerslides: anyone ever do this.....?

I just got a new computer and needed to get it off the floor and into a cabinet. After careful measurement, I determined that the FF opening was exactly 20 inches and my CPU 'box' was around 18.75 inches.

OK. I'm starting to cipher. I want a full extension tray so I can get to all the cables when I need to (a definite step up from before). Went to the BORG and bought a pair of 100#'s.

Got to thinking. If I lay these babies on their sides (with the drawer side "up") it would only take about a half-inch of cherished vertical height.

Plus, it a piece-o-cake install.

Thought some more...but would the pair support

100# in that orientation (CPU ? 50lb).

Hmmmm. Don't think so.

IIRC, Norm did something similar when he built a kitchen island with 'recycling bins' a few years ago.

Anybody ever try this?

Opinions?

Thanks.

Lou

--

Reply to
Louis Tentromono

I know you've already spent the money, but they make slides specifically for the purpose you seek. I have a pair on the slide out shelf in my kitchen cabinet (I constructed the cabinets). I used the Accuride slides, but I'm certain the other brands follow suit. These slides are

1/2 Thick as well (IIRC).

Louis Tentromono said the following on 11/26/2005 7:44 PM:

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

Take a close look at the drawings with attention to the shapes the balls ride in. You'll see two tracks, that when installed as intended, fully support the balls in a vertical orientation. Now, turn it sideways. The gap between the fixed and the moveable parts are now at the bottom and top of the balls. In other words, there's less support. If this were a radial bearing, that'd be the thrust direction. It's simply not made to be used this way.

However, I suspect they'd probably work, but at reduced capacity. How much reduced? Who knows? And there'd probably be reduced life, but under ordinary use I think that wouldn't be a problem.

They make slides for the purpose you want to use them in. Just return what you bought and get a different pair.

Reply to
George Max

You didn't mention if the 20" was the height or width. If it is the width, the slides only take up 1 1/16" of width, so with a sliding shelf, you have an extra 1/4" to play with. If the 20" is the height and you have a little extra width to play with, you can drop your tray within 1/8" of the bottom FF.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

They won't be full extension any more as they will sag. Also the ball bearings will not ride in their correct channels. If you put them on the sides like they are designed your drawer can be 1/8" from the bottom. If you do as you're suggesting the drawer bottom will be 3/8+ higher, the opposite of what you're trying to acheve.

Reply to
Battleax

?c=1&p=48619&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1
?c=1&p=46580&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1

Upscale

I looked it the Lee Valley cat. and saw the ones you probably bought and another pair that is supposed to sit under the drawer. The side mounts have 100# cap and the under drawer have 30#. Looking closely, I'm having trouble seeing any difference between the two 'styles'. There are correct ones for under mounts, but I can't think who has them.

Reply to
cselby