Drawer time

Page 2 of 2

So now try walking into the shop having done no prep except a good drawing, grab some wood and see if it isn't 4 hours before you a nice dovetailed drawer in your hands, ready to finish. And again 4 hours and 15 minutes for 2.
One-off's are expensive.
I would say if I did this in my buddies cabinet shop it could be almost twice as fast if he didn't have any big complex setups to undo on any of the equipment but if doing this in a typical garage shop I stand by my estmate.
If I was building 100 of them, I could probably build fixtures and do effecient planning and probably get then down to 10 minutes each using manual machinery and assembly.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I wasn't implying that you were slow, just that your estimate sounded pretty realistic to me.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yep, tone can be lost in writing. I didn't think you were dis-ing me, I was just expanding on my first post. The addition surprised me but after I gave it a second thought I figured yeah 4 hours is about right.
RE: Subject
If you are going to make a drawer(s) for sale then time required to build is important.
If OTOH, if it's not for a sale item, what difference does it make?
Just cuirious.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It doesn't. I was just curious as to how my working time compared to others.
--

dadiOH

Making several at one time is certainly more time-effective. I can make a drawer in 4 hours or up to 2 days. With handcut dovetails I might be close to finishing one drawer in the time it takes to set up a dovetailing jig. Turning/sanding/finishing a wooden knob might take a half hour.

It usually takes me about an hour longer than my in-laws are visiting for ;-)
Larry C
On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:55:27 -0400, "Larry C"

Ah, the honest answer finally surfaces. <bseg>
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine