Drawer slides for a medicine cabinet door?

Thinking out loud here: I've built an oak medicine cabinet to fit into a standard stud-cavity recess but have not attached the door yet. Rather than using Euro-style or other hinges, I'm wondering if I might use a pair of drawer slides to hang the door so it slides to one side rather than swinging out? Anyone done this? Or given it enough thought to consider what sort of slides would work? I'm thinking low- profile side mount ball bearing slides, but wouldn't one need to be mounted "backward" for that to work?

I don't mind if the finished door protrudes 1/2" or so from the wall; it has a mirror inset so would look like I'd hung a mirror on the wall. Much more than that might look odd though, and would reveal the slides when closed.

thanks,

kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

An old trick on a boat where space is at a real premium.

Take a look at some examples in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've seen it done. And you don't need to worry about mounting one "backwards". Side-mount ball-bearing slides are reversible.

If 1/2" gap is acceptable, you don't even need to go "low-profile", that's the gap for regular standard slides.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thinking about our "medicine" cabinets, because they hold every damn thing except meds..... The sliding door would probably disturb the delicate balance of 30 lbs of shit in a 20 lb bag and spill stuff every time the door was opened.. I visualize a sink/floor with various tubes/jars/packages/etc scattered in/on it..

Other than that, I like the idea.. I had a phone that slid open and liked it.. (once I got used to it)

As to the drawer slides, I find that simple mockups, even out of cardboard, a more fool proof way of design than logic or drawings...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis