Drawer slides

Page 2 of 2

www.wwhardware.com has a variety of slides in their product line. I'd NEVER go back to anything but full extension and regret using anything else.

:I finished the top of my workbench and now I'm making two sets of : drawers to support the top. (This is all similar to the workbench in : the current issue of American Woodworker.) : : Full extension drawer slides look nice, but they're also expensive : (about $15 each). Are the standard slides that limiting by not coming : out all the way? Or is there some other cheaper alternative? : : I've seen reference to full extension hardwood drawer slides, but no : details. : : Mike : Full extensions let you get at the back of the drawer a lot easier, especially if, as most like to, you want to set the drawer fronts back in a couple of inches from the top of the benchtop. I would opt to spend the little bit of extra cash but ymmv I suppose.
Pop

When I put in some workbech area along one side of my shop about 10 years ago, I put in 4 drawers right under the length of the top. I used the standard 3/4 extension slides that were probably $2 each.
Last summer, the POS slides finally got the better of me. In order to get new full extension slides (22 in deep) to work with my nice drawers, I had to remaount everything and rout out about 1/4 inch of material on each side of each drawer. Talk about a PITA. But I'm glad I did it right the second time.
I got the slides from wwhardware.com for something like $10 each.
Do it right the first time. You'll forget about the cost in no time.
Lou
Thanks for all the help.
Mike
On 6 Jan 2006 09:49:08 -0800, upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You should be able to buy offshore knockoffs of Accuride 3832's for about $6.00 a pair.
You need to shop from places that sell to commercial cabinetmakers.
Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /