Drawer slide recommendation ?

Page 3 of 3
scrawled the following:

Ooh, it sounds like you started well before me. I was a late bloomer, coming around in 1988ish.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774
And just to clarify. The slides are smoooth all along their travel. It is just at the very end, the last 1/8", as you are pushing the drawer fully closed, that the *friction catch* comes into play. Larry
Ok, one last thing to consider. If you put too big of a screw near the front cabinet side, the head can interfear with the closing of the slide. You might want to double check that. Easiest way is to remove the screw and try the result.
Hey Leon,
Thanks for the reply. The slides are installed within tolerance. A perfectly fit, actualy.
Good idea to test the action of the slide on its own, not installed. I did just that. Actually, I noticed before I even installed the slides for the first time that they had this friction stop at the end. I thought that once they were attached to a drawer and once the drawer had some stuff in it, the excesive friction would feel just about right. But No, still too much.
No, the slides are not self closing. I like the idea of self closing, but the ones I looked at looked too much like kitchen drawer hardware.
Ok, you want the self closing, I was not sure you could get other than self closing these days. I know what you are talking about now. That detent keeps the drawer from reopening on its own if the cab is not on a level surface.
The self closing ones do provide resistance but much less than the plain slides. You also might want to consider the "soft close self closing slides. You can give them a pretty hard shove to close and about 2" out a small hydraulic piston dampens the force and pulls the drawer shut.
I prefer KV brand slides. 8417 series for self closing and 8450 for self closing and soft close. http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides/CatID/Drawer%20Slides%2C%20Full%20Extension%20Ball%20Bearing
as far as alternatives to Accuride, I love the undermount slides from Blum, which install easily and perform flawlessly, in my experience. As for sidemount slides, for a recent project I ordered drawer parts from Unique Drawer Boxes, and the salesman there persuaded me to try U.S. Futaba slides, which he said were better than Accuride. I used them, and they seem very good--smooth and strong. I haven't used Accuride, so I don't know how they compare... HTH, Eric
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:04:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous

Blum has an interesting corner drawer setup, too. http://fwd4.me/59Y Click on the thumbnail for a real pic.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : I recently used Accuride 3832C drawer slides in a media cabinet (20", : full extension, $23/pr, Rockler).
: They work well enough, except for one problem. It takes a rather : excessive amount of force to overcome the friction stop in order to : fully push closed the drawer. Conversely, when opening the drawer, you : have to really pull in order for the drawer to release. Unnecessarily : so.
I've been really impressed with the slides used in the Ikea kitchen cabinets we installed last summer. Brand isn't marked, but they're made in Austria, and may be available separately from Ikea. Smoooothhhhh, and they have dampers which make closing them a pleasure.
-- Andy Barss