Drawer slide alternatives?

I asked a follow-up in the (very deep) Domino drawer thread but nobody answered so I'll try a new one and see if that was 'cuz nobody had any better ideas or just got overlooked there.

Am refacing cabinets in kitchen that built in place 30+ yr ago for the folks (we're located here now, not that it really matters).

The drawers are 7/16" oak side material w/ an overlaid front that was just a butt/rabbet glued at the time and Dad used the inexpensive (ok, they're cheap) center undermount slides. I'd like something that is a little better feel if there is something; at worst a new set of the same/similar would help.

I'm going w/ inset doors/drawer fronts instead of half-lip on the remake and was planning on cutting off the existing drawer fronts and cutting the dovetails in the existing sides for new fronts.

The problem is that there's insufficient clearance for side mounts and I don't want/can't afford to give up the depth in the smaller drawers to go w/ the fancy Blum or similar good undermounts.

Is there any other choice anybody knows of or a better quality version of the center under-mount that has better rollers, etc, so feels a little better action?

Otherwise, I could fit as if were doing a dresser drawer w/ thin UMHF slides and dovetail guide system but that also is a fair amount of time...

Anyways, just asking for other idears, if any...

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, forgotten KV makes a ball-bearing center-mount version...

KV1129

Unfortunately, ain't nobody in town'll have even remote chance of having one to take a look at.

Anybody have any input on them or something similar?

PS. Figure could use a couple instead of only one on the one or two drawers that are moderately heavy (even though don't think they're 35# fully loaded now). Little more pita to get them aligned, but seems doable enough if need be.

--

Reply to
dpb

How about scabbing 1/4" or 3/8" oak on the inside of the sides, then rabbet a slot on the outside, for side mounts.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have used these from Lee Valley have have been happy with them.

?p=50509&cat=3,43614,43616The first ones are rated at 22 lbs., and the others at 25 lbs. Both mount the same way and are a friction disconnect.

Reply to
Victor H.

Have you tried the Accuride web site?

Nova

Possible but I'd build new drawers rather than mung these that way as I rounded over the top edges of the sides and have been finished on both inside/outside; both of which would take more effort to work around than new drawers would.

Is one way that could hang them, though, true...

--

Reply to
dpb

clearance compared to 1/4" on the KV; don't know if that translates to slightly larger ball or not.

Reply to
dpb

I used similar center mount slides in large dresser that I refinished several years ago. They worked well until the drawers were overloaded and the tracks popped apart.. After about 10 years there's only one left. For those that failed, I remade the drawers with enough side clearance to use conventional full extension slides.

If your drawers are small and will be lightly loaded, they may work satisfactorily. Also, they don't have as much travel as regular side mount slides so things in the back of the drawer tend to be difficult to retrieve.

Reply to
Catwatcher

Ok, I typically use side mounted full extension slides that are self closing and also available as soft close. These will however require 1/2" clearance on both sides.

Concerning the slides you have a link to above, I used that slide for our kitchen when I remodeled it 20+ years ago however I used the Accuride brand. They are good slides and I doubt that there is much difference in quality from the KV brand.

The problem with this style center mount slide is that when they are extended they will let the drawer bounce up and down a bit when extended more than half way. I don't think that I would trust a center mount full extension if there is a such thing. These type slides are typically a 2/3 extension meaning that 1/3 of your drawer will still be inside the cabinet when pulled out all the way. Additionally they require a nylon nailed in pad on both sides of the drawer opening to balance the drawer. Clearance is critical.

If I were in your position I would strongly consider building new drawers if necessary and going with the side mount full extension slides, most have a

100# rating while most center mount slides have a 35# rating.
Reply to
Leon

OK, that's the hands on kind of data I was hoping someone had (as well as catwatcher's but his app was much different) as I haven't used these previously.

In this tiny kitchen that doesn't have the luxury of being modified I do hate to give up even the extra inch width in the drawers so I'm thinking I'll go this route on a trial drawer or two and see how we like them.

I don't think there is such a thing as a full-extension center mount; as you say there would be nothing to support the drawer. These data sheets say 3/4 extension; that's about what the current do so wouldn't lose much, it seems on that front.

I figure there's really no reason one couldn't mount two to add stability and load rating if need be; all it would be is to ensure they're truly parallel to each other. These drawers aren't very wide and don't weigh much, though, except one utensils drawer is somewhat heavier than the others but I've not weighed it but don't think it's close to 35#. Of course the higher-rating slides have much better feel and longevity these don't have the heft to have, sure...

But, iff'en I'm not satisfied, I'll handcraft t-slides or simply insert frames aka a dresser I suppose. Or, just stay cheap and replace the existing center-tracks w/ new ones; new rollers there would make a fair amount of difference and be the coward's way out... :) It hasn't rained/snowed here yet and doesn't appear going to any time soon and still early for planting season anyway, so I've got a little time yet before farming has to intervene...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:iktj1r$jqb$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

It all depends on ow much "stuff" (weightwise) has to go into the drawers, and how they are exactly mounted now. In my old "sideboards" purchased in the eighties, I have drawers that slide with grooves in their sides over 1/2x1/2" plastic strips mounted on the dividers on the sides of the cabinet space for the drawers. No stops. An alternative would be UHMW strips stuck onto hardwood slats to support the drawers you have now.

Reply to
Han

Somethging to consider about loosing that inch on the side, you often gain more room in the back as you can build the drawer to go all the way to the back of the cabinet and you can pull the drawer all the way out.

Most drawers are shy 6"-8" of reaching the back of the cabinet.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Robatoy

On 3/5/2011 10:38 AM, Leon wrote: ...

That's also a truism, true... :)

Guess I'll think about it a little more; might not be much more effort for new boxen as compared to the mod's for these. Could turn these into some other storage I'm sure if did so.

Reply to
dpb

My neighbor replaced her kitchen drawers. I have the old ones, to be installed in the shop, somewhere. Only a few of the same size, though, but a custom carcass may be perfect. Yep, use them for your shop or other need.

I like Leon's cue, to make new ones that are deeper, into the cabinet, with side mounts.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It would probably be ideal given no other constraints, but... :)

Possibly later (as in next year; time is of the essence at the moment as noted earlier; farming season is approaching and this project has to get out of way before and much prefer to not have it left over so I think I'll just do the trial retrofit of these slides and judge from that for now. They're not expensive so if end up tossing them it'll be no great expense. Doors and just the drawer fronts is probably going to be lucky to get done even as is...)

--

Reply to
dpb