drawer slide adjustment

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

Simple solution: Don't glue-up the whole piece at once!! Break it into two, or more, glue-ups! Rare is the component that you can't break down into multiple glue-ups if need be.
CAVEAT: when doing partial glue-ups, it's a good practice (actually imperative) to go ahead and clamp up the full assembly, both glued joint, and unglued joints, and check for square.
Use some common sense with multiple glue-ups, think it through so that you don't glue yourself into a corner; practice the steps first before each glue-up, with clamps at ready; and your project will thank you ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

I'm coming in real late on this one, but I think it's important to stress what Swing is saying here, but from a different angle.
My first glueups were as stressed as what Adrian is describing. I suspect most experience that "time is running out" syndrome, and the added pressure almost ensures that something will be forgotten.
Because of that, anything that could go wrong needs to be anticipated long before the glue lays down. Although it's a royal pain in the ass, I do a lot of dry fits. That's probably to my detriment, as each dry fit is going to loosen the joints slightly but I'll take that hit if I can do one dry fit and have it run flawlessly. Including measuring the diagonals.
Then, when I do my final wet assembly, that one gawdammed thing that didn't show up in dry fits rears its ugly head. Happens each time, and if it didn't I'd think something was way off. However, all of the other smaller problems are dealt with and I can still do it inside the glue's open time.
The key is to not be surprised by much. That's why the dry fits work for me.
Tanus
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:18:22 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu"

I'm a little late on this but...... look at the slides very carfully. there is a tab on the end of the slides at the back of the cabinet. look at both side by side. Is one bent differently? I ran into this not too long ago. everything was square and should have fit but one drawer stuck out on the left and one stuck out on the right. I screwed around with this crap for 2 days and finally took the slides out and compared them. sure enough the tab at the back on one side of each set of slides was bent! bent the offending tabs, put em back in and all was right with the world. was it because of made in china or damaged in shipping? dunno but it was a simple thing just not obvious.
skeez