Drawer side stock?

Ayup, both top and bottom, and the wider drawers came with a central slider on the bottom. There's a strut on the bottom of the drawer which slides on it.

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That they had that structure from the original construction of the cabinets. What they didn't have was anyplace to install slides... For either side mount or under mount I'd have had to build new internal structure in the carcasses--a pain in itself--and I'd have lost storage capacity. Making new drawers that fit properly was far easier and actually gained me a little capacity as the originals were a little too small for the opening.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Being a contractor you'll knock heads here on a few things. Being a good contractor you give your clients choices. Some are doing a quick turn, some are building a dream house, and some are on a strict budget. Before I got hurt I was an electrical contractor and found the best way to bid was to present the options as it sounds like you do. That way at least if they went for the lowest price you might get a chance to educate them. If they were't interested in discussion they might not be a good customer. Every remodel brings problems. Sounds like you do an excellent job of showing the customer their choices.

Mike M

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

And you, my friend, have obviously BTDT.

Reply to
Swingman

Last I looked, this was the "recreational woodworking" group, not the "commercial kitchen cabinet builders" group :-).

(If that sounds a little snippy, it's because Comcast just clobbered all our email accounts and I'm too miserable from the flu to fight with them just now.)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

So - and upon your last look - when a "recreational woodworker" asks a question/expresses an interest in a subject, only a "recreational" woodworker can answer in this "recreational woodworking" group?

Interesting interpretation of the purpose of this group you got there.

And here all along I was thinking it was global warming, politics, the price of gas, and gun control ... go figure, eh?

So you heard that 'sound' too, but pulled the trigger on the post anyway?

Nice ...

Reply to
Swingman

Shouldn't let his reply irk you. I'm jealous of everything you build too. However, you can redeem yourself by giving away all your woodworking tools to me and taking a vow of poverty.

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Poverty? I disagree Karl needs poverty. He really seems to earn his keep. I think his detailed help to people here and elsewhere is reason enough to just be grateful for his wisdom.

Reply to
Han

Having been trying to learn something, I've observed that Swingman's models for cabinetmaking feature more fine-woodworking integrity than comparable projects in magazines, where projects may be "dumbed-down" for the sake of creating entertaining media, perhaps. I hope you keep preachin' Swingman (and others)!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. Granted, some jobs require a measure of uncompromising assholery to get things done, mainly because you're dealing with other peoples money and dreams and, for whatever reasons, they've already realized they can't get the job done themselves ... and most would agree some of us are well suited to that task, and that that attitude tends to spill over to other areas.

That said, and when someone asks a question, and I feel like I can give a reply based on relevant experience, I will ... and at the same I will also endeavor to _show_, using whatever technology at hand, why I feel my reply may address the question/concern.

I'm well aware that that rubs some folks here the wrong way, probably because their own insecurity makes them feel it's akin to "tootin' your own horn". Fuck'em.

I will continue to "preach", as you say ... and couldn't give a rat's ass less about them, or what they feel or think ... there's always the killfile to allow them to feel better about themselves if that's what it takes.

Reply to
Swingman

Han wrote in news:XnsA14F50A9B6782ikkezelf@207.246.207.169:

+1
Reply to
-Steve-

Agreed plus the photos are worth the price of admission.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You heard my excuse - what's yours?

There's nothing wrong with suggesting commercial solutions in this group

- we all learn that way. But turning up your nose at fitted drawers is just reverse snobbery.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Instead of getting all disingenuous and defensive about your already self admitted "snippy" behavior, how about simply answering the question you got all "snippy" about regarding drawers intended for a kitchen:

On 1/18/2013 1:49 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: > On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:17:15 -0600, Swingman wrote: >> I meant to add that you will certainly want to consider, >> before you make a decision about your drawer side thickness, >> the type of drawer slides you will be using. >

Better for what?

Reply to
Swingman