Drawer-making tip

Page 2 of 2

<snippage>
You always seem to be using the most fascinating woods...
Patriarch
On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:44:18 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"

Thanks for the tip. I'm storing this one so that I can refer to it when I build my next set of drawers. ;-)
Your observation about how fast glue sets up is spot on: there is also a corollary when you want the glue to set up so you can stop holding the piece in place.
Tiplette No. 1: Tack down some scraps of wood at right angles (into an L-shape) onto a sacrificial surface (1/4" melamine) and assemble your box against these scraps.
Tiplette No. 2: Undersize your drawer bottom a smidge (smidges are found on your tape/rule and are the smallest of ticks) so you can pull the drawer square/aren't fighting the drawer bottom.
Tiplette No 3: Dry fit your drawers (for the obvious reasons) and while the whole works are still clamped together pre-finish the interior(s) so that glue squeeze out pops out/off. Shellac Onna Rag works good for this.
Tiplette No. 4: Don't glue the bottom in. Wait for the box sides to set (dry) and flip the whole thing over, re-check for square (square up if needed) and run a bead of hot melt (that glue gun you bought and never seem to use) around the rim of the box. In fact, if you like you can make the groove a couple of smidges (at least two of the smallest ticks) too wide, flip the box over, weight down the drawer bottom (I prefer a bag of lead shot for this) and fill the gap with the hot melt. This leaves no gap on the show side.
Tiplette No. 4 might be a wee bit beyond the pale for some who like to go around and feel up the bottoms of drawers so you've really got to ask yourself, am I the type to go around and feel up the bottoms of drawers?
Oh and the question has to be asked, when was the last time you had to do maintenance on a drawer? Me? I'm thinking should you ever have a drawer fail you'd probably be better off re-making it, but then again, that's just me.
UA100

This is completely dependent on whose drawers. I have no desire to feel the bottom of your drawers no matter how much you assure me well they fit. OTOH, I can think of a few ladies who I'd not mind feeling the bottom of their drawers. Ed

the
Yabbut Ed, if you find hotmelt glue there your gonna change your mind real quick.

Dang, forgot to swallow before reading that. Now, where's the Windex?
Ladies' drawers aside, thanx for the excellent tiplettes!
Renata