Drawer lock router bit

I just picked up a router bit from the local Rockler store that is called a "drawer lock" bit. The guy in the store told me that I can set it up so that I can run the face pieces horizontally and the rails vertically without changing the height of the bit or the position of the fence. I cannot seem find the right combination to do this.

Rockler does sell a set-up guide for this bit but I would have to order it and I don't want to wait for delivery time. There are no instructions with the bit and their catalog shows a sketch of how the pieces mate but no dimensions.

My suspicion is that advice from the store clerk was wrong and I have to adjust at least the bit height between the two cuts.

Does anyone here have experience with this set up and can wither confirm my conclusion or give me some help with setting up the bit and fence properly?

Reply to
Bob Haar

Lobby Dosser

two fingers and grooves rather than the single pair in the bit in this article. I will read through it and see if it can apply to the bit that I have.

See

for more dtail on the bit that I have.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Depending upon whether you have the drawer-lock bit or lock-miter bit, take a look at:

or

a Google search turns up a fair number of hits on "drawer lock bit". I think Grizzly also has a set of instructions for their bit.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Have you looked at the "Tech Sheet" for the setup jig? Here is the link shown on the page for the bit and the jig:

looking at that IMO it is not as helpful as it could be. But, it may help on a short-term basis. HTH. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Thanks, That doesn't give a great deal of specifics, but it does help. However, the resulting assembly doesn't look like the drawing that goes with the bit information page. That shows the face having a lip that entirely covers the end of the side piece while the jig spec sheet shows the side extending flush with the front.

I will try to integrate the responses so far and do some more trial-and-error - heavy on the error so far.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Bob,

I just went through a similar exercise - but I decided to go with this profile (and this bit):

was a great article, by Bill Hylton, in Pop Woodworking a few issues ago (maybe 4,5,6+ months) ago where he walks you through the setup of the bits.

In the end - I came to the conculsion that using a setup block would only be the starting point, since the stock thickness and fence settings affect the cut. For this profile, I started off at a height and then adjusted up/down until two *edge cut* pieces interlocked (when one is flipped). Fence position #1 is flush to bearing, fence #2 is set to give you the overlay.

If you are still stuck, email me and I'll see if I can dig up the exact issue.

Reply to
patrick conroy