Drawer fronts

Almost done with my dresser.
Is it typical to glue a drawer front to a false front or just screws only?
I thought just screws would be better if I ever need or want to change to a new drawer front.
What do you guys do??
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
stoutman wrote:

I cut small slots or and slightly oversized hole in the front of the actual drawer and use screws to adhere the front to it. That way I can adjust the visible front of the drawer slightly to make it line up perfectly to the overall piece.

Screws in case you screw it up later and need to replace.

I measure, pre-drill, then clamp together for screwing.
Guess who wrote:

Moon

Screw only. For the reason you stated.
I always use truss head screws with a 1/4" hole to allow for drawer front adjustment. A truss head screw is a washer head screw with a larger diameter "washer". The number of screws depend on the size of the drawer front.
Description of the screw is at - http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?story_idT&cookietest=1
Preston

stoutman wrote:

from the back and use the handle screws to pull it all together. There can be a lot of pressure applied to a drawer front, especially if using finger grips in place of a handle. regards John
stoutman wrote:

dave
Thanks everyone!
The draws are done, poly is cureing. I will post pics tomorrow night or the next.
I look forward to everyones critique. I learned a lot on this project!
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
Regardless of what some of the "Elders" might think about this group. This group is one of the best sources of wood knowledge not always accessible from a book or magazine. I wouldn't trade this NG for 5 free years of FineWoodworking Magazine!
Post a question and bam, an answer in minutes!
Gotta love it.
thanks again.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm

I betcha the "elders" would like the group more if they actually participated more and quit bitching. Additionally, I bet their elders thought the same of them also.
Leon wrote:
<<I betcha the "elders" would like the group more if they actually participated more and quit bitching. Additionally, I bet their elders thought the same of them also.>>
Too true. Just like in life. Ever since I hit middle age I noticed how dumb some of the young 'uns seem to be that are coming up in the trades.
I have to remind myself of how I was looked at (and treated) when I started out as a green as a gourd carpenter's helper. In that light, there isn't any difference at all; the more things change, the more they stay the same.
If I EVER hear myself actually say (after pulling my pants up and spitting), "well when I started out, we didn't have all the fancy tools that did everything for you, we had to figure it out.... you know... we actually worked for a living" I hope I am smart enough to realize just how damn old and intolerant I am getting and do something about it.
Robert

Isn't that one of the very few benefits of getting older?

Use screws. Make slightly enlarged holes in the drawer box front, and use screws with washer heads. I just did this and used some special drawer screws with large heads from McFeeley's (no financial interest).
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat .1.9.6
This also allows you to adjust and align the drawers accurately.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I wonder why they show a self-tapping screw and then tell you what size drill for the pilot hole...

Avoids scrunching the wood, allowing some slight space allaowance for the center solid portion of the screw. Also it helps guide the screw. The screw still bites into what's left. It's the same principle as for plastic inserts that screw into drywall, then a real screw goes into them, ...but this is all in one. Wish I'd thought of it.
stoutman wrote:

I use washer head screws through an oversize hole. For the reason you mentioned.
Also, it's easy to adjust to get an even gap all the way around.
--
It's turtles, all the way down