Drawer finishing

Quick survey: what do you folks use to finish drawers?

Reply to
Gramp's shop

A standard drawer, no frills, nothing at all for the box. Nice joints, varnish.

Reply to
Leon

"Gramp's shop" wrote in news:acb30367-d122-44ae-824d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Either shellac, or no finish at all.

Finish a drawer with anything containing oil, and it will be *years* before the odor goes away.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Outside, lacquer usually.

Inside, oil usually. I've never noticed an odor once dry.

Reply to
dadiOH

That depends on the intended use... for most drawers in solid wood construction nothing but wax on the outside so it glides on the case/guides. In situations where there is a good chance that the contents will snag (e.g., knitting, lingerie, etc.) I use dust panels and finish all surfaces with shellac, sanded smooth, and rubbed out with wax. For utility drawers made from construction grade sheet goods and installed on slides, polyurethane to basically glue the surface and edges together.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Buy pre-finished plywood for large products, for a single drawer, a spray can of lacquer is very fast and easy.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Water based poly. Dries fast, durable.

Reply to
MaxD

What he said

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

A bow on the front waistband and tasteful and attractive lace around the legs.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

+1. Two coats lightly sanded between coats. No smell.
Reply to
Gil

------------------------------------------------------- Drawer Fronts: As spec'd to match balance of exterior.

Balance of drawer carcass: Two (2) coats of 1# shellac to seal surfaces.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett