Drawer construction question

Hello - In the past I have made my drawer sides out of 1/2" stock. My latest project I am running a bit short on materials and do not feel like making a trip to my wood supplier. If I use what I have, I can make the drawer sides and back out of 3/8" stock. The drawers are relatively small, about 10" deep and 13" across and 3" high.

Is 3/8" stock too small for the sides and back? We are talking about cherry.

Also, what I am using has sap wood. Would that detract too much or cause any issues?

Another question, while I'm at it. How do you folks cut your drawer holes? I know some people rip the piece, cross cut the openings and glue it all back together. This is not possible for me as my front aprons are already complete. My drawer fronts are overlay style. I am planning to make a template and cutting out with my router then clean up the corners with a chisel. My POS jigsaw is another possibility but would likely end up looking like crap. Any other suggestions?

This is a sofa table / hall table and will have two drawers.

Thanks in advance!

-B

Reply to
No

You can absolutely be able to go with 3/8" thick material for drawes that small. I am currently building a chest with 8 drawers 3 to 6" deep and all

17" x 35". I am using 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and that is plenty strong.

I wouold suggest that you could even go with 1/4" thick sides if you are not going to carry much weight.

Do you mean openings in the cabinet for the drawers to fit into? I always build face frames for the front of my cabinets.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, the openings for the drawers to go into. This is a sofa table, the drawers are cut through the apron. In past I have ripped the length and cut out the openings then glued it back together. I cant do that n this project. I was thinking of using a router and template to clean up the hole I roughed out with a jigsaw. Have any better ideas?

Reply to
No

Hello,

i think you're right on track with the jig saw r/o and then a template and router to finish the openings and cleaning out the corners by hand... if you are using solid cherry drawer stock the box should be plenty strong with 3/8" be careful of your usual fasteners meaning (if you are using metal slides) don't forget to use small enough screws, but if you're using a wood glide no worries then..

health n laughter

Reply to
Brendan