Drawer & Cabinet Guys:! Opinions Needed!

Page 3 of 3
On 2/4/2016 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:

If nothing else another possible solution to future situations.
On 2/4/2016 10:55 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I believe you understood. BUT for "me" I would rather work with a guaranteed result of using an insert/box in an existing box/the cabinet if at all possible. It is worth it to me to work standing up in a shop with all my tools available and not make quite as much money as hauling my tools to the location, working with unknowns and unparalleled cabinets. And that may be more work but work that I prefer to do rather than test fit, shim, walk out side cut, return and do over and over. and the customer is not having to deal with me being there for hours on hours. When I build the insert and often drawers, at the shop, I know before I deliver that the drawers will work properly and the insert only needs a couple of anchor screws to hold them in place.
It is just a preference thing for me and that may not be feasible in your case.

On 2/4/16 12:07 PM, Leon wrote:

I posted that before reading all the following talk about inserts. Definitely a technique I'll keep in mind for the future as I see and appreciate the benefits. Thanks for participating-- this is all great stuff.
--

-MIKE-

YEAH! "favors" can come back to haunt you, good jobs get return business.
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:44:23 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Beat out by low ballers who were depending on change orders to make a profit. One case in particular they bid the job for less than the equipment cost me, and I knew I was getting a better price for the equipment than they could.
Got a call from the customer, the contractor went belly up, they wanted us to come finish the job. T&M, I won't even go into all the details but we made more money off that job than if we had gotten the contract in the first place. After the job was completed and signed off, we threw a big party for all our guys for making a really crappy job good.