Drawer Assembly Fail?

Start this video at 10:10 and watch the drawer assembly process. Is this a major fail or am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
7ZEi162qo

LOL. Yeah, that was subtle, but he definately had a "goddammit" moment shortly after shooting in all those nails.
FWIW, in my opinion using nails like that is the sign of a hack. And using epoxy for anything that's not going to be exposed to water is the sign of a hack (someone who can't cut a tight joint). Given that, I'm not surprised he didn't check his drawer for squareness.
I'm also kind of surprised that guy has all his fingers.
John

A compilation of unsafe practices and poor techniques.
I'm surprised he hasn't earned the nickname "stubby" yet.
Lew
On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 8:53:55 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oh, I agree with all that, but did you notice the scrap piece of wood under the far left side of the drawer? That whole corner is completely misaligne d. He even put his hand right on top of it when he was shooting the nails. How did he not notice that or am I looking at something at don't understand ?
Pause the video at 10:34 and look at the far left corner and near right cor ners.
snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net says...

Yep. He clearly screwed that one up--had the scrap piece under the side and not just the back.
J. Clarke wrote:

Ah yes, so he did. Why didn't they show the part where he ripped it apart? :)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The latter. They are to block up the back so all the tops are aligned. The back is narrower so the bottom can be slid into sides and front.

Look carefully. While that's the intent he had the side on the block too, and nailed it with the side in that position.
On 7/24/2015 2:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A ignorant idiot, leading other ignorant idiots on the interwebz.
There is so much fail in his entire process and methodology it's hard to know where to start.
Best thing someone can do is forget they saw it. won't be long before those drawers all replaced by someone who actually understands how to build drawers that not only work, but last.
And, as John McCoy rightly says, it is surprising he has all his fingers.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I could recommend a few changes in procedures.
In stead of a backer board to push the pieces receiving the rabbits into the stacked dado blades, use a miter gauge mounted with a fence that is adjusted flush up against the rip fence. This keeps the piece square to the rip fence when cutting the rabbits.
Rabbit the side pieces, not the front and backs of the drawers. This helps hide the joint when the drawer is open.
He should have used clamps to insure that the joints were closed.
Oh and those groves he cut with the grain to receive the drawer bottom are groves, not dado's.
Gel contact cement, that's pretty cool. I did not know that existed.
These are my suggestions, in 2011 I built 100 drawers +\- a drawer or two.
In article <1668442388459523471.995785lcb11211-

While I'm sure it's fine for sticking down veneer, did you notice that he seemed to be using it for the drawer structure as well?

On 7/25/2015 10:15 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I did not notice that, I thought he used epoxy for the drawer joints.
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:38:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

You are correct, sir. The text overlay states that he was mixing 5 minute epoxy.
Maybe that's why he screwed up the corner. Maybe he said to himself "The epoxy is drying. I don't have time to move the scrap and align the corner. I'll fix it later." ;-)

That's what he gets for using cheap epoxy, he should have used West System.
Apropos of Leon's comment, it is possible to over clamp epoxy (not that that seems to have been an issue for the video guy). While you really can't glue-starve a joint by overclamping when using PVA glues, it can happen with epoxy.
John
On 7/26/2015 9:28 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Regardless, it seems that his joints were not properly closed. In that case the drawer is not going to fit properly. As you may have stated, the wrong glue for the this application.

I was being sarcastic about the West System...
With one end of the back 1/2" above the other (because it was sitting on the spacer) there's no way the joints would ever close properly, clamps or no. What he should have done is measure the diagonals for square - then he'd have seen he had a problem.
Given he nailed the thing together, and used epoxy glue (which will fill gaps) he actually didn't need clamps. It's still a hack way to put it together.
John

LOL. ohhhhhhhhhhhh. .-)

You know, it certainly does not hurt to check for square, building drawers, but for grins I was looking back at pieces that I have built in the last 5 years. There were over 150 drawers. I don't remember putting a square on any or checking for square. I will add that typically I build a minimum of 4 at a time and once in excess of 30. This guy in the video has so many bad habits that he was sure to screw up. If you make square cuts and use joints that self square, things naturally square them selves. Now I will add that my drawer bottoms are always plywood, for dimensional stability, and captured by all four sides of the drawer, except for the 30+ group I mentioned above. The drawer bottoms typically have less than 1/32" spacing left/right and front/back between the drawer sides. Basically the drawer bottom insures the drawer to be square, and or square enough to prevent any noticeable problems.