Downdraft Table Question

I have been looking at the Lee Valley hole pattern for their benchtops - it looks like a 7 3/4" matrix. What I am wondering is, if I were to build such a top, and box in beneath it and attach a 4" DC to it, do you think there would there be sufficient downdraft to allow dust-free sanding on the bench surface?
Greg
I built a downdraft table out of 3/4 Ply. Works well for me. I found the same to be true as Markus.... If I block most of the holes, it can be used as a hold down using my DC. I did however slope an internal piece of 1/4 MDF that helps chips and dust slide to the 4" port.
Steve

I made one from an article in one the the mags (Wood, perhaps?). Anyway it's a shallow box with a peg board top. They suggested getting some of that stuff that you put under throw rugs to keep them from sliding around. Found some stuff called Hold Plus at the local Wal-borg. It's a loose mesh so it doesn't block the dust from ending up in the shop vac.         mahalo,     jo4hn