down to 3 ROS..need help!

Page 1 of 2
OK fellas....I'm stuck and can't decide on which random orbit sander to get. I've whittled it down to the following sanders (all variable speed):
Porter-Cable 333VS Bosch 1295DVSK Makita BO5012K (new)
I'm sort of leaning towards the Makita as the Porter's seem to have motor problems and I've read the Bosch's are real aggressive + the Makita (and Bosch) come with cases.
Anyway...any help is appreciated!
superlast wrote:

The June 2004 issue of Workbench rated 6" random orbital sanders. On the strength of that, I ended up with the Ridgid R-2610 for $149 at the Borg. Very nice.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
I am curious what the motor problems are that you refer to?
Preston

Preston...after doing some research in the newsgroups + amazon.com....the Porter 333 seems to have a problem with the motor burning out + a little more "problems" than the Makita or Bosch. Don't know if it's that model only, but fortunately the Porter 333VS has actually got good reviews.....that's why I'm stumped. There's not much reviews for the Bosch's and nothing really on the new Makita, but my gut feeling is either Makita or Bosch. I just want to purchase a tool for under $100.00 that will last me a long time. It's only for home use, so I just want to make a smart decision. I don't own any power tools from either of the 3 brands, but historically...all 3 are good brands, but the Porter being the better priced probably than the other 2.

It may have more posted problems because their are many more of them out there. Sort of like saying 1,000,000 Chevy's needed new tires last month while only 100 Ferraris did. Therefore,, Ferraris have less tire problems. Ed

Good luck,
I treat power tools, especially sanders, under $100.00 as a through away tool. It works till it stops, through it away, and buy a new one. I wish I could tell you different, but sanders are an usuable product. A power tool that sells for less than $100.00 does not have a very long life in a shop like mine than uses it every day. Mike
I won't be using the tool everyday, Mike...only on weekends and even then it won't be non-stop sanding....10-15 minutes here and there and that's it. So...I'd like to consider it as a "consumable" item, but for what I'll use it for and as often as I'll use it...I really can't....it's more of an "asset" to me.
I'm sure all 3 brands are decent...I just need something to push me over the hill on whichever brand. I don't have any experience with any of the 3 brands...so that doesn't help. Cost is not a major concern...no problem paying $20.00 difference on one brand over the other...
Cheers....

I have the Bosch 3107DVS which does include variable speed to adjust some of its aggression. It does come in a cardboard box, which might be adequate for home use. I like it very much, it has done all that I asked it to do. It was more than $100 as I recall. Its aggression was controlled by going to a finer grit.

I have about a half dozen of each. The Bosches last the longest.
The Dewalts are the worst.

When in doubt, get one of _each_!
That way you're *sure* to have the best choice. <evil grin>
(and a spare or two, if it breaks.)
ha! ha! if I was in the construction business or enough money that I wouldn't care what I spent it on....then maybe :)

buy the one that feels best in your hand. in the end, you gotta use the thing.
randy

thing.
Agree!
--
Rumpty

unfortunately the Makita and Bosch's are not available locally...only online. Of course, I went by Home Depot & Lowe's and held the Porter 333....that's feels fine, but they don't carry the other brands...which is wierd as they carry their other tools. Didn't really care for the Dewalt...

I just used the Makita for the first time last night. 10-minute test on poplar with 3 different grits:
As compared to my old 1.7 amp non VS Makita of which I was very fond, here are my impressions.
1. Shape: same height and weight (light), but the top is just a tab wider and less convex than the prior model. It did not fit my hand quite as well. But I have smallish hands.
2. Vibration-Very good. noticeably less than the old one.
3. Aggressiveness - I was not overwhelmed but it was only a 10-minute test and I was using a different brand of paper than usual. I would have to say that the test was a bit inconclusive, but the rating is still "perfectly adequate but nothing to write home about"
4. H&L - *very* grippy... maybe it's just new, but I the hooks look different to me
5. Dust collection - I had low expectations and they were exceeded. The baggy got maybe 3/4 of the dust (tough to judge). The weak point as I could tell was the elastic connection between the baggie and the connector. A fine mist of dust was "blowing out of the seam. It appears that this little beast actually creates a bit of air-flow.
Conclusion: If I could touch the competition before-hand, I would. But I couldn't and didn't. Since I put a premium on weight as a criteria, I think I made the right choice *for me*.
Steve

How important do you feel the VS is in a ROS ?? thanks,
Ed Angell

Frankly,
I haven't a clue. I thought that since I was buying I might as well move a bit "up-market". I suspect that it might be handy when sanding between coats if finish when I want a really light pass.
Only time will tell if I actually use the feature.
-Steve

essential.

a single speed ROS would be fine in a production setting where flat surfaces only were being sanded and the conditions were controlled- always the same abrasive, always the same material with the same veneer thickness, etc.
the variable speed allows you to slow way down for applications where the pad only makes partial contact- like on curved surfaces. at full speed it would do significant damage to a curve, but slowed all of the way down you can use it to sand roundovers and fair in parts that need a delicate touch.
when you are dealing with thin veneers it is useful to be able to slow the ROS down to gain control of stock removal. it's easy to burn through at full speed.