Down and dirty drawers

I side with you Robert, better to not be working for a bank. Seems these days that the goal is to teach the employees to eliminate their jobs. It goes something like this, Mr Soandso, did you know that you don't have to come into the bank? You can simply use our out doors ATM and in short order the bank will no longer need me any more.
The freaking key grips that call the shots are clueless about customers that want to see the same faces when they walk in. The customers want to get some level of service for their 19 cents they are being paid for their $15,000 in minimum balances.
Hope she gets a better job soon!
"Mike M" wrote:

Interesting.
Can't remember the last time I was in a bank.
Standing in line for 15-20 minutes waiting to get to a teller comes under the heading of ridiculous in my book.
Forget even thinking about going to a bank on a Friday.
Lew
On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:04:31 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

population of 7100. Most of them all work in one of the big cities so it's pretty quiet during the week for those of us who choose not to work.
MikeM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Mike M" wrote:

Living in a major metro area puts a different spin on things.
When I came to Los Angeles, looked around for the bank that had the most ATMs.
No surprise it was BOA.
After using a savings account as a parking place for spending money available thru ATM for a few years, BOA offered a free checking account if you opened it with a direct deposit tied to it.
NBD, so now have a free local checking acc't with direct payment of most bills paid as req'd.
I'm left with 1-2 paper checks per month and no need to go into a bank branch.
Don't miss having to stand in line.
The nearest BOA has five (5) ATMs and anytime I've peaked inside the bank have never seen more that three (3) tellers on the windows.
Think there is a message there.
Lew
On 11/7/2013 3:50 PM, Mike M wrote:

Lew mistakes the _real_ reason to go into the bank isn't to do the routine business w/ a teller but to visit with the prez, catch up on the local "more businessy" news in town in factual context don't get at the coffee shop from the street, and otherwise connect w/ another significant portion of the community...again, this presupposes using the local bank with a local presence not the outside interloper chain that has no interest in the community other than what can ship back to main office from there.
If self-employed it's even more critical to have the interaction in good times as well as calling in the bad.
On Friday, November 8, 2013 7:35:20 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

OR... maybe Lew has the same situation I do. I have banked at the same ban k for over 30 years. People come and people go. I live in a town of about 1.3 million when including the metro area, and San Antonio TX is usually # 7 or #8 in population size in the US depending on the reporter.
YEARS ago I had the same bank officer for some time. But that all changed as did the way banking is done here in TX. We use the branch system, so wh ile you might be talking to a branch manager, so you light years away from talking to the "Prez" of the banking system. Some tiny state banks might s till have a president in the bank, but I doubt it.
And since a branch can be set up with a good computer link, a nice vault, a nd a tiny space inside to service customers that actually want to come in, bank branches are relatively inexpensive to open. So in my neck of the woo ds the expansion of all banks is ceaseless. They go through people rapidly , promoting those they like, training for different positions to increased their value to the bank, and then of course losing them due to the low wage s paid to the rank and file.
Since I have been with the same bank so long they actually assign a rep to my account. The rep usually lasts about 9 months to a year, sometimes long er, but is just a rep. Gone are the days of relationship banking where I c ould call my guy, get a few thousand put in my account and stop by later in the day to sign the papers. As it is, I am lucky they waive all fees and charges to the account.
Self employed for 30 years now, I don't see the need to go in the bank. It is a wasted of time to me to interface with people that will be gone in a few months when my banking requirements are so low these days. And I only g o by the bank a mile from my house when I am paid on a job and make a depos it on the way home, or to get some cash. Unless you are living in a rural e nvironment, the folks that work in the branch are pretty much just place ho lders. If you don't believe it, go in and ask your favorite guy (that you have known for years)for a $10,000 personal loan and see how long it takes to get it.
Although I am resentful of how little they pay to use my money, I like the new banking ways better. At least now I don't have to listen to someone pr etend that they give a crap about me or my company when I have to use bank services. They do as little as possible now and make no pretense about it.
Robert

My sentiments exactly!
IME (and I do recall a time when this was not the case) it has been at least 30 years since having a long term relationship with "your" banker was in any way, shape or form, beneficial, or even possible, to a small business.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/8/2013 12:14 PM, Swingman wrote: ...

Sorry to hear it...it's still _the_ way here. You've apparently lost much if not mandatory in doing business at least in a personal life experience/enrichment process of being able to do business in the old-timey handshake fashion. Not all progress is really progress.
I've not (by choice) lived in a truly major metro area but have been in areas w/ 1M+ in greater business area. Even there there were small but nationally-chartered banks with which one could have such a relationship.
Here there's no pretense whatsoever--they _ARE_ interested and they _ARE_ beneficial and it's worthwhile to keep in touch even though I've known the president (and major stockholder) since we were kids...we're neighbors as well as business partners and friends. His family also owns ground we've farmed since within a year or two of my grandfathers' having homesteaded the place (one year away from "century farm" status this year).
On 11/8/2013 1:19 PM, dpb wrote: ...

ADDENDUM:
While there is a lot more paperwork than in olden days owing to Dodd-Frank and all the other crap been put on the banks, one prime advantage of the personal relationship is that dealing with it is essentially pro forma after the fact or just replicate and date to satisfy the files instead of having to "do it all again"...
On 11/8/2013 1:19 PM, dpb wrote:

Good for you. It hasn't been that way in the urban jungles of Texas since the bank shakeout in the mid to late 80's.
Enjoy it while you can.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/8/2013 4:36 PM, Swingman wrote:

A quick search found several local, independent banks in the Houston area so the model isn't _completely_ dead...even in TX urban blight. :)

I'd guess what really counts is how long those independent banks have been there and if its employees live and work in the same neighbourhood.
Forty years ago, I knew my bank manager's name without having to read it and I might be greeted by one or more of the bank's employees if I was out shopping somewhere. And, this was in a big city. Those days are long gone.

Several seem to have been around at least 30-40 yr, a fair number are newer...that's all w/o any knowledge at all of Houston and very quick looking...
The point is they're not _necessarily_ "long gone" unless one allows it to be so by not finding and using the ones that are there. If you were with an outfit that was bought out and stayed that may be what it looks like from that vantage point and it may not be worth the effort to make a move, but there are other options available if one wishes.
Even here one of the old locals got caught up in the merger mania and ended up being swallowed up again and again until it's now a sorry BOA branch w/ no live tellers at all. But, the other two in town remained independent and thrive along with a third that formed about 20 yr ago and another from nearby OK panhandle that has opened a branch in town and also seems to be doing well. Being a relatively small town, I know the principals in all of these except the BOA and do recognize them on the street and see them regularly. In TN w/ 1M people in regional area, I _still_ knew the people and saw them on occasion outside as well but again I didn't go to one of the big name outfits or even 1st TN that's regional.
Largely it depends on how important it is to one to go to the effort to not just take the apparently easy road first in choosing.

existing first mortgage and was a bit short of cash for the down payment come closing day - I had the cash coming, but not in hand. I went to my bank manager (who I had been dealing with since about age 8) and asked for a bridge financing loan. He said "you don't need a loan, just sign the cheque" - so I did. About six weeks later the cash from the sale of my truck came through, and that was that.
On 11/8/2013 9:34 PM, dpb wrote:

Yep, you and Google have it all figured out, from a thousand miles away, no personal experience with Texas banking and history, and "w/o any knowledge at all".
Good luck making that believable.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/9/2013 8:33 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yep, but I'd be pretty certain having looked at several of the individual bank's filings they're pretty solid...
The point is, however, that there _ARE_ individual local banks even in the metro areas still if you go find them. Not all are necessarily the conglomerates.
On 11/9/2013 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:

Ok, consider local. For instance a bank across town for you "might" mean a 10 mile drive. For me a drive across town would take 40 minutes on a Sunday morning. Then 40 minutes back.
On Friday, November 8, 2013 9:34:37 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

I can't decide. I don't know if that last statement was ignorance, stupidi ty, or arrogance. Maybe some of all.
First, since you obviously live in a different banking environment than I d o, you can't possibly know the banking culture we have here in Texas. I kn ow, I know... "but Google said Robert!"
State charters mean little here. Banks are banks. We aren't in Mayberry R FD. There are no doubt some banks that have that old time Mom and Pop atmo sphere somewhere in this state; somewhere that has the old men in the corne r playing dominoes around the cast iron stove, the president's wife make co okies for their customers every once and a while, and there is still a free toaster with a 1000 S&H Green Stamps with every new account.
You are an complete idiot if you think I don't have the same banking relati ons I had 25 years ago because

You think I wouldn't do what it takes to take care of my company and my bus iness? You think monetary relationships aren't important to a contractor w here half of you business is managing money/budgets? You think someone lik e me doesn't have a bank president that will sit down and bullshit with me because I am too lazy to look for one?
Maybe you should Google, "Daddy, how come people all over the USA aren't ju st like me?" Maybe if you could see beyond the end of your street...
Sheesh.
Robert
Don't be a
On 11/9/2013 12:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...
I don't think any of that, really...other than what you (seemingly) complained of earlier that the rep's you've been assigned keep changing on you.
If you get adequate service and are satisfied, that's good -- but even in large locations and in TX (and yes, I _do_ know something of the _state_ of TX even if not Houston as we're within spittin' distance of the panhandle so do have business dealings in TX) there are still independents.
There were a bunch who were (again at least seemingly) saying there simply are none any longer and I'm certain that isn't true.
And, for Leon before I kill-mark the thread to not be inclined to continue what has gotten far too far afield, yes, I understand that in a large metro area it may be there isn't a convenient branch of a smaller bank within that area that despite how good they might actually be that they are a logical choice. Then again, here where things are sometimes widely separated for the opposite reason of there being none of a particular service within a 100-mi or so radius, we're pretty used to commuting for some things or having to make parts runs to the nearest JD or CIH dealer that has the particular part that local doesn't when need it... :)
If one thinks one has to have a blue borg then you're talking a 65-mi drive, minimum. Before gas prices got so high it wasn't at all uncommon for folks to fly to Colorado Springs or Denver for a supper and return that night when there was no restaurant that was of the sophistication of actually using real table linen in town... :)

I can remember over 30 years ago when we had drinks at lunch driving around with the banker passing a bottle around in the car. I was the youngster and to this day I admire the friendships that my dad had from WWII. Those guy got a lot done. Back then all the government offices had plain steel furniture. Seems like now they are all trying to create the perfect job environment.
Mike M