Down and dirty drawers

Page 1 of 3
For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:
Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch plywood:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7OKeOS0fo9c/UnZ0b1wtj3I/AAAAAAAAUrQ/AjpZdHkZ-7c/w769-h1025-no/IMAGE_71.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WLdCw6ENzLs/UnZ0Z-Yp-OI/AAAAAAAAUrI/oQimSkn0WF4/w1367-h1025-no/IMAGE_70.jpg
Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop labor.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Pretty slick, I like that method of drawer. All my drawers actually, except I use 1/2" ply for the bottom and shellac them.
On 11/3/2013 10:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

Very cool!
Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

And or.
On 11/4/2013 6:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Captured.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/4/2013 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I wish that I had not.

I have, one time. Bottle of glue with a cracked cap tipped over in the drawer and hardened on the bottom. It was a pain to remove and replace it.

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

No, that's the total material cost for all seven drawers, with 1/2 sheet+ prefinished1/4" ply left over; and maybe enough drawer side material for one more smaller 3 1/2" tall drawer.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Looks nice. I'm sure the prefinished plywood would save some time, but I always make my drawers with 1/2" birch ply sides, and 1/4" birch bottoms. No fancy joinery, just route a groove in the sides for the bottom, then glue and brad nail the drawers together (simple butt joints). Sand lightly, then a couple coats of poly to finish them off.
The dovetail purists would have a fit, but I've built a LOT of drawers this way and never had a problem. Even in the shop where the drawers are heavily loaded with tools. Drawers are usually hidden away anyway so nobody see's the joinery unless you open the door and look.
On 11/4/2013 9:04 AM, HerHusband wrote:

For clients, and most kitchens we build, I use 3/4" maple sides, routed dovetails (both Akeda and Leigh D4), and 1/2" maple ply bottoms, and have done literally hundreds upon hundreds of them:
https://plus.google.com/photos/+KarlCaillouet/albums/5679344856334965873/5679345311194207618?banner=pwa&pidV79345311194207618&oid1355467778981859077
https://plus.google.com/photos/+KarlCaillouet/albums/5679344856334965873/5679345395630273666?banner=pwa&pidV79345395630273666&oid1355467778981859077
But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from the woodworking that pay the bills.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:39:16 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

I remember sheepish admitting that I used locking rabbet joints when we wer e talking a couple of years ago. I go the biggest kick out of you showing me examples in your house of cabinets where you had used the same method/sy stem.
While dovetails certainly take more time and show more craftsmanship, to me there is nothing wrong with a joint that works. As I have said many times, I am an on site kind of guy, and I can knock together a few drawers using precut rabbeted materials I can take to the site. Never have a I had a pro perly glued rabbet joint fail. I love the speed of putting the pieces toge ther and using a couple of hidden brads to hold the drawer together instead of clamping and waiting.
Then again, I don't build the upper end stuff, and folks are usually paying me for speed, dash and accuracy. That many finished drawers sized and rea dy for hardware certainly meets those requirements in spades! Nicely done.
Robert

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)
On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:22:39 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?
Inquiring minds need to know!
Robert

LOL. When we are paying for our own stuff we tend to scrimp here and there.
Same style as our new house, not purdy but get the job done.
Are you and Kathy coming to Houston for Christmas?
On 11/4/2013 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Fiddy cents is fiddy cents ...

I sure hope so, they are certainly expected.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote:

----------------------------------- Waste not, want not.
Lew
On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:59:18 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

I hope so, too. This has become just about the best part of the holidays f or us both. No stress, great food, great company, great accommodations, a guaranteed lovely time, and... no stress.
We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank and it was dec ided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company compensation is determined by p roduction and little else. In a bank, it is all about the bottom line, sen iority,and maximizing profit without regard for good business sense. The ba nk was literally letting deals fall through because they couldn't find some one to authorize an hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was tol d that if she worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she wo uld be terminated.
It was a mess, but she liked the job when she got it. But when they were b ought out about 8 - 9 months ago, things changed rapidly. Personally, I am glad she isn't there anymore but no one likes to look for a job.
So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off, but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go without her... then she tol d me I couldn't. She was serious when she said it... !
Robert
We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank and it was decided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company compensation is determined by production and little else. In a bank, it is all about the bottom line, seniority,and maximizing profit without regard for good business sense. The bank was literally letting deals fall through because they couldn't find someone to authorize an hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was told that if she worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she would be terminated. ------------------------------------------------------------- Only the "Actors" and the "Stage" change with time, the "Play" remains the same.
Been an "Actor" in that "Play" myself.
Wasn't pretty and served as the motivation to become self employed. ------------------------------------------------------ <snip> So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off, but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go without her... then she told me I couldn't. She was serious when she said it... ! ----------------------------------------- Guess you will take those words very seriously<G>.
Best of luck in the coming year.
Lew
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:43:20 AM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Me, too. I was self employed for years, then took a job and actually worke d for a bank (the old NORWEST banking system) managing and developing home construction and permanent loans.
They tried to cut my pay simply because I made more money than the two Texa s Vice Presidents. The reason? I was on mostly commission, didn't play go lf, hand ball, or have two hour lunches. I put loans together and collecte d my commissions. Had I done poorly, they wouldn't have noticed me, but th e green eyed monsters whined to upper management about being "fair" since t hey had seniority, and they almost got me. My solution of course was for t hem to give up their salaries and get out in the world where 90% of their p ay was commission. You know, "no worky, no eaty". Their solution was to c ut my pay to retain "parity". My attorney's solution was much more jolting to all of us, as he dared them to cut my pay based on my high production.
Not long after that, I was gone. Nine months after I left with my producti on and my pending loans, they were gone.
Assholes. Idiots. Morons. But the risk of having no job was a chance the y would take rather than to see someone get ahead that they thought didn't deserve it. They never understood that if I wasn't successful and didn't b ring in loans, I would never have made the money I did.

You bet I do!
Thanks for the good wishes, Lew. I am hoping it is better than the last fe w have been. And same back at you!
Robert