Down and dirty drawers

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch plywood:

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop labor.

Reply to
Swingman

Pretty slick, I like that method of drawer. All my drawers actually, except I use 1/2" ply for the bottom and shellac them.

Reply to
Markem

Very cool!

Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

Reply to
Leon

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

Reply to
krw

No, that's the total material cost for all seven drawers, with 1/2 sheet+ prefinished1/4" ply left over; and maybe enough drawer side material for one more smaller 3 1/2" tall drawer.

Reply to
Swingman

And or.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Swingman

I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I wish that I had not.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:13:03 -0600, Leon

I have, one time. Bottle of glue with a cracked cap tipped over in the drawer and hardened on the bottom. It was a pain to remove and replace it.

Reply to
none

Looks nice. I'm sure the prefinished plywood would save some time, but I always make my drawers with 1/2" birch ply sides, and 1/4" birch bottoms. No fancy joinery, just route a groove in the sides for the bottom, then glue and brad nail the drawers together (simple butt joints). Sand lightly, then a couple coats of poly to finish them off.

The dovetail purists would have a fit, but I've built a LOT of drawers this way and never had a problem. Even in the shop where the drawers are heavily loaded with tools. Drawers are usually hidden away anyway so nobody see's the joinery unless you open the door and look.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

For clients, and most kitchens we build, I use 3/4" maple sides, routed dovetails (both Akeda and Leigh D4), and 1/2" maple ply bottoms, and have done literally hundreds upon hundreds of them:

But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from the woodworking that pay the bills.

Reply to
Swingman

I remember sheepish admitting that I used locking rabbet joints when we wer e talking a couple of years ago. I go the biggest kick out of you showing me examples in your house of cabinets where you had used the same method/sy stem.

While dovetails certainly take more time and show more craftsmanship, to me there is nothing wrong with a joint that works. As I have said many times, I am an on site kind of guy, and I can knock together a few drawers using precut rabbeted materials I can take to the site. Never have a I had a pro perly glued rabbet joint fail. I love the speed of putting the pieces toge ther and using a couple of hidden brads to hold the drawer together instead of clamping and waiting.

Then again, I don't build the upper end stuff, and folks are usually paying me for speed, dash and accuracy. That many finished drawers sized and rea dy for hardware certainly meets those requirements in spades! Nicely done.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"HerHusband" <

Time for some humor: When I bought this house I'm living in I was surprised to find that there were _no_ drawers in the kitchen cabinets! None! Many years later I met a guy who proudly said he built the kitchen cabinets in this house. So of course I said: You forgot to put in drawers! He said they only collect junk and he didn't think they were worth it! True story I swear....! ;>)} Or perhaps these drawers are so well hidden I never found them.... heh heh ...

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

LOL. When we are paying for our own stuff we tend to scrimp here and there.

Same style as our new house, not purdy but get the job done.

Are you and Kathy coming to Houston for Christmas?

Reply to
Leon

Fiddy cents is fiddy cents ...

I sure hope so, they are certainly expected.

Reply to
Swingman

----------------------------------- Waste not, want not.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I hope so, too. This has become just about the best part of the holidays f or us both. No stress, great food, great company, great accommodations, a guaranteed lovely time, and... no stress.

We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank and it was dec ided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company compensation is determined by p roduction and little else. In a bank, it is all about the bottom line, sen iority,and maximizing profit without regard for good business sense. The ba nk was literally letting deals fall through because they couldn't find some one to authorize an hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was tol d that if she worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she wo uld be terminated.

It was a mess, but she liked the job when she got it. But when they were b ought out about 8 - 9 months ago, things changed rapidly. Personally, I am glad she isn't there anymore but no one likes to look for a job.

So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off, but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go without her... then she tol d me I couldn't. She was serious when she said it... !

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank and it was decided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company compensation is determined by production and little else. In a bank, it is all about the bottom line, seniority,and maximizing profit without regard for good business sense. The bank was literally letting deals fall through because they couldn't find someone to authorize an hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was told that if she worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she would be terminated.

------------------------------------------------------------- Only the "Actors" and the "Stage" change with time, the "Play" remains the same.

Been an "Actor" in that "Play" myself.

Wasn't pretty and served as the motivation to become self employed.

------------------------------------------------------ So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off, but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go without her... then she told me I couldn't. She was serious when she said it... !

----------------------------------------- Guess you will take those words very seriously.

Best of luck in the coming year.

Lew

Reply to