Dowel not fitting in Cam

Have a desk that the Dowel is not holding in the Cam, with some knockdown fittings. When the dowel inserts into the cam should it turn 180 degrees? The cam is only turning 90 degrees so that the dowel barely fits into the slot. Is this normal? Should I file down the slot on the dowel or bend the cam slot open a bit more? Anyone else have this problem?
On 5/1/2009 3:13 PM Albert spake thus:

What Dowel and what Cam are you talking about? A little explanation might help us help you.
(By the way, this isn't German, so we don't usually capitalize non-proper nouns like that.)
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself
Albert wrote:

I assume you're talking about something like this: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p@049&cat=3,41306,41319
What you are calling a "dowel" is often called a "bolt" or "stud".
If the cam doesn't turn fully, it may eventually work itself loose. At the same time, really torquing down on the cam will often break it or the material being fastened.
The situation you describe can occur if the hole for the cam isn't located in exactly the right place. Sometimes unscrewing the bolt a bit (half a turn or so) will allow the cam to turn 180 degrees.
Chris