Dowel making

I need to make some dowels to specific lenghts/diameters. I will be using both round and square stock, sizes will be from 1/8" to 3/8" x 8"-10 long. Now the question, what would be the best tool- lathe or doweling machine (Veritas or such). TIA
I'm sorry, this probably isn't the answer you want, but as cheap as dowels are, why not buy the size you want, cut them to length? Dowels are available in almost any size and any wood you could want, and I can't see how you could make them any cheaper than you can get them for already "finished".
hth
wrote:

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:14:52 GMT, Xlat

Anybody know where I can get some 3.25mm maple dowels? My wife wants some 'D' size crochet hooks.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
Bob McConnell wrote:

I could have sworn I saw then at my local Woodcraft store. Not on their web site though, Maple anyway. Woodworkers supply carries them slightly bigger than you require on their web site.
Take a piece of whatever lumber you want to use 1 x 1 x 8. and saw in two lengthwise , then you will have 2 pieces 1/2 x 1/2 x 8. Cut off the length you need, Center each end and turn down on lathe to exact dia. you want
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
Should be 1 x 2 lumber.Sorry about that.
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
If your after 'exact' sized dowels, go to http://www.modelexpoinc.com/ and search for draw plate.
DennisD wrote:

Lee Valley has a "dowel making kit" I ASSuME you want to make dowels from some type of exotic hardwood.

You are correct- I want to make dowels out of exotics and make them "fairly" consistent in size. So you did not have to live up to the old ASSuME adage!
"> Lee Valley has a "dowel making kit" I ASSuME you want to make dowels from

I needed some mesquite dowel a few weeks back. Fortunately, a friend has the dowel making kit from Lee Valley. It works great. The dowel were sized exactly and came out like they had been polished. Only con is the set is expensive. Check out - http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageB331&category=1,180,42288 .
Another alternative is to drill a proper sized hole in a piece of plate steel and drive the dowel stock through it. Here is such a plate - http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=DP&cart 7591644818872888 .
Preston