Dovetrail Bit

Opened up a new Dovetail Bit yesterday and looking at it thought that the shank was too long. I installed it as is with well over an inch protruding from the collet. In use there was some serious chatter. So I took it out and cut about 3/8inch off the top and it works fine.
Strange! Its a Porter Cable Router and a Porter Cable Bit.
Joe Bemier wrote:

You need to remember, each time you use the router, that you already put an o-ring in the collet. They add up!!! Interesting problem/solution. One to remember. Thanks for posting it.
Joe Bemier wrote:

What tool did you use to cut the shank of the bit?

Sawzall with a Bi-Metal Blade. I believe, because it is a carbide tipped cutter the shank, etc is fairly soft steel. If it were a High Speed Steel cutter I might not have been able to cut it so easliy. After cutting I beveled the top edge with a file.
What is the model number of the bit ???
Joe Bemier wrote:

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:58:40 GMT, Pat Barber
2880196