Dovetails

Yesterday one of the Plumbers on the job showed me a wood box - quite old- that had very small dovetails. I told him I thought they were handcut, but the flooring guy said the Leigh can cut those. I don't do much D/T work and only have an old P-Cable. If anyone has a Leigh could you let me know how small it is capable of. I assume the bit would dictate the actual size but the machine dictates the spacing - correct?

Reply to
Joe

JGS

the Leigh jig can cut dovetails pretty much as smallas your bit gets. The problem with smaller ones is that the fingers can only get so close togehter. The smallest interval bewteen the tails is about 1" (maybe 3/4). that means that you can cut tiny (say 1.4") dovetails, but they'll be pretty far apart....

To cut the small ones you also have to buy a different dovetail and straight cutter......

--JD

Reply to
jd

The Leigh question has been answered, a woodrat can cut very narrow pins. The router uses a straight bit for the pins and pivots to come across at the dovetail angle.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Reply to