Dovetail saw refurb

Thought I'd sent this already, but...no show in 2 hours.
Years ago, I did a revision on a dovetail saw, enough years that details are gone. I know the teeth need to at least be flattened (set removed), and then be refiled and reset in a rip configuration.
Has anyone done this recently, seen it done, know where there is any info? Seems like I saw something on it maybe a year ago, but...not today.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
Charlie,
It did show up and several have responded already. If you can't see them, let me know and I'll copy the responses and forward them to your email address.
Bob S.

Bob S. responds:

Please. I've not seen a thing until now.
I wonder if I hit one of my own filters with the title?
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
5 emails on their way......
Bob S.

errrrr.........make that 4

Make that .....they all got bounced ! AOL has a spam filter that rejected me forwarding the responses to you from the ng. I made up a separate email with the responses posted inside. If you don't see it soon in your email (3:08p now) let me know and will chip it in stone and put it on a donkey for ya.
Bob S.
why don't you just repost them in here? seems the easiest thing to do since he obviously get's your posts
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

dynamic
<<< 554- (residential) IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions
<<< 554- from this IP address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list
<<< 554- of dynamic (residential) IP addresses. For additional information,
<<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com .
... while talking to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.:

dynamic
<<< 554- (residential) IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions
<<< 554- from this IP address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list
<<< 554- of dynamic (residential) IP addresses. For additional information,
<<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com .
... while talking to mailin-01.mx.aol.com.:

(residential)
<<< 554- IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions from this IP
<<< 554- address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list of dynamic
<<< 554- (residential) IP addresses. For additional information, please visit
<<< 554 http://postmaster.info.aol.com .
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
Bob S writes:

WTF? I just remembered that someone else couldn't get an e-mail through to me earlier.
I guess it's time to scream at AOL.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
As suggested:
1. From Phiserman:
This can be done, although not with pull-cut Japanese saws. There is a tool that fits over the saw teeth to guide a file over the teeth. I believe I've seen this described in a tool sharpening book by "Lee." It takes patience, bright natural light, magnification and a keen eye.
2 From Tom Watson
This is one of those areas, "...where angels fear to tread."
The Galoots get into this pretty good, though. Here's a link to their search page.
http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/archive/search.phtml
I usually refer to Leonard Lee's book on sharpening but even he doesn't have much to say about this. I just satisfy myself with following the old tooth configuration with a feather edge file.
Good luck. Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
3. From Tom Watson Charlie:
It bothered me that I couldn't lay my hand on an article dealing with this so I went on what I figured might turn out to be a snipe hunt.
Found a snipe, though.
Ian Kirby did a sidebar on sharpening backsaws (including dovetail saws) in issue #39 of FWW, which was later compiled into the Taunton, "Fine Woodworking On...", series book, "Hand Tools.
It looks pretty solid. If you don't have access to either of the above sources, I can scan it and send you a .jpg.
4. From ToolMiser Sounds interesting, and I would appreciate a copy of it also. I have two older saws that need to be touched up, and I always forget to ask my sharpening person if they can do them.
Bob S.
Charlie, This is not an AOHell problem it's a documented feature. Mr Bob is a roadrunner user and he has a standard residential, one user configuration. This means that his IP address is dynamicly assigned. His configuration may also be set to directly contact the target recipient's mail echange server instead of using the roadrunner SMTP mail server as a relay mail host. It his case, at least two of the AOHell's mail blocking criteria are met. (Snipped and included below.)
Myx
a.. AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use dynamically assigned IP addresses. a.. AOL will not deliver e-mail that contains a numeric Universal Resource Locator (URL). (Ex: http://0.0.0.0 ) a.. AOL's mail servers may reject connections from IP addresses which have no reverse-DNS (PTR record assigned).AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that are configured with residential IP addresses.

Here's the best guy you could ever want to deal with. Inexpensive and highly recommended by the neanderthal community.
Tom Law 62 West Water Street Smithsburg, Maryland 21783 301-824-5223
He's got an excellent video out as well.
Good Luck
David
P.S. He sends you your saws back sharpened with the prices taped on the blades and then you send him a check for the work.

David Bannerstone answers:

I'll get in touch with him. He probably knows a lot of stuff I'd like to know anyway, and a man who trusts others enough to not even price work until after it's done is unusual enough to be worth saying hello to.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
Charlie, Mario Rodriguez had an article in FWW a year or three ago about reworking a dovetail saw. Pretty much just what you mentioned. File it to rip and reduce the set.
I did one a number of years ago. I filed it to rip first. Then I ran a sharpening stone down the sides of the teeth to reduce the set. One pass over each side of the teeth, and then a test cut. IIRP, it took me about 4 passes to get the kerf where I wanted it.
David
remove the key to email me.
jpagona AKA David responds:

Yeah, that's about what I did, under the tutelage of a Polish carpenter...guy was about 70 in '57, though, so it's hard to ask him. He knew more stuff I didn't hear of again for 20-30-40 years than I can believe, still.
I think the Rodriguez article is what I saw and what brought it to mind. I should have that somewhere, but I'd bet it was 3 years ago and is in Bedford,V A, not P'burg, WV.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
CharlieDIY says:

Yeah, well. It's on the on-line Taunton stuff, so I jerned up and figured $3.50 would be fair, except the damned web site is not responding.
If at first you don't succeed, and all that. This time, I won't follow my old man's advice: if at first, etc., give up and quit making a damned fool of yourself. I think he was talking about wimmin, anyhow.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige