Dovetail Jigs

Only by 50%.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You dovetail your base molding and window trim?? I'm impressed :)

Reply to
Doug Payne

Re: Hand cut dovetails

But if you had not already had the chisels, what chisels are needed?

Ricky

Reply to
Ricky Robbins

Reply to
Pat Barber

would

Mark:

Have to agree with you. Having written many software agreements like=20 this, I find this one to be crap when it restricts your ability to build =

for someone else within your shop. I am not talking about giving things=20 away to other people and breaking a reasonable agreement btw... I find=20 this one too restrictive and hence unreasonable. Why break an agreement=20 when you can buy something else just as good? To me this would be a=20 product of last resort due to the agreement.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

The agreement stuck in my craw, too. On the other hand, there's nothing to stop anyone from designing their own jig template - and if there's anyone who'd care to do so and send me a DXF, I'd be pleased to produce and distribute it inexpensively (with _no_ license agreement)...

Any takers?

Morris Dovey

Perhaps you are not aware that jigs are available for hand cut dovetails? See this page cited by Will:

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

For the occasional dovetails that I make, I use a set of spacer blocks on the router table. The blocks need to be accurately cut, but once made will last forever. Cuts very nice joints for minimal investment in time & takes up little space in a drawer. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Pat, Have you used this jig. I am getting one for Christmas.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

I've beed considering the 4212, too -- since my favorite, the Akeda is just too expensive. Pat, if you've used it, can you tell me how I might do dust collection for it?

Pat Barber wrote:

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Not much in the wau of DC for these jigs. I would suggest a router "with" DC which does a pretty fair job.

Look at the PC 8529... that has a built-in dc at the base. That does a "fair" job but does not get it all...

Never Enough M> I've beed considering the 4212, too -- since my favorite, the Akeda is

Reply to
Pat Barber

How many people are going to read the thing? How many are going to care? Advocating not buying the thing just puts you in a position of not buying much as more and more companies THINK that they can run your life and dictate law. I can just see the end result of all this, some company will start sending junk mail stating " buy removing this ad from your mailbox, you agree to turn over your house to our company at our discretion". This could go further. Printed on the back of your birth certificate: "By the act of being born, you agree to work for our company for a period of forty years from your eighteenth birthday. You also agree that terms and conditions of this employment are left completely up to the company".

-----+

-----+

Reply to
CW

| ...there's nothing to stop anyone from designing their own jig template.

And today I used my shop-built jig to produce my first half blind dovetails. Photo of the result on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking under "Half Blind".

Morris Dovey

Do you have a picture of the jig? Did I misread that you used the jig to handcut the dovetails?

Mark & Juanita

| On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:39:25 -0600, "Morris Dovey" | wrote: | || Morris Dovey (in aXBpf.13$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net) said: || ||| ...there's nothing to stop anyone from designing their own jig ||| template. || || And today I used my shop-built jig to produce my first half blind || dovetails. Photo of the result on || news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking under "Half Blind". | | Do you have a picture of the jig? Did I misread that you used the | jig to handcut the dovetails?

Yes, I do - and yes, you did. :-)

There're photos of the jig at the link below. The "template" is a pair of part programs (one for tails and one for pins) that take angle, height, width, displacement of each tail from the edge of the board, bit diameter, and depth of cut as parameters to produce common, half-blind, and non-mitered full-blind dovetail joints using only a straight bit.

For the dovetails in the picture I used a 1/8" 3-flute center-cutting end mill (because I didn't have a suitable router bit) at 16K RPM and fed at 90"/min. If I'd used a smaller bit (say, 1/32") both the inside and outside corners would have appeared "sharp" instead of "rounded".

I absolutely guarantee that I totally lack the skills to cut that joint by hand to produce an exact fit - and I have nothing but admiration for people with that kind of skill (and eyesight!)

Fortunately, it's sometimes possible to substitute one skill for another...

Morris Dovey

newsgroup. Can I talk you into e-mailing a snap to me? Just lose the BULL from my addy.

Thankeee, Morris.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks for the clarification [of my poor reading skills :-) ] and also for the link to the pictures

... snip

Mark & Juanita

| Bell Sympatico randomly decided to omit your work this time from | the newsgroup. Can I talk you into e-mailing a snap to me? Just | lose the BULL from my addy.

You have mail!

Morris Dovey

Indeed. Thank you.

(I am still working on the servo vs stepper debate )

Reply to
Robatoy