Dovetail Jigs

Page 1 of 3

I want to purchase a good dovetail jig but don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions and recommendations about sizes, etc. needed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good ones can be had for less than $100. Now if you want good and veritable you may have to spend 3 to $400. Typically the common cheaper ones will do a good job however they are only designed to do Blind Dove Tails. IMHO these are harder to do than Through Dove Tails as the router bit setting has to be perfectly set in depth. This is true on cheap and expensive traditional stile DT jigs.
Other than that, Leigh and PC make the better multi purpose jigs.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:27:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

"Dovetail a Drawer" by Frank Klausz. DVD or VHS, $19.95 retail, available from $13 and change if you look around.
There's one for $0.99 (with reserve) on eBay right now. www.woodzone.com has them for $18.95 + $2.95 s/h www.amazon.com reseller has one for $17.74 + $3.49 s/h
Learn to dovetail by hand and you'll never need a jig.
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Have to agree with you. Saved myself over $400 -- had to buy a dovetail saw and the templates from lee valley though...
All the dovetail stuff... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n
My el cheapo stuff -- which works fine.
About $30 and you are in business... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49424&cat=1,42936,50298 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41718&cat=1,42884
I already had the chisels...
It takes less practice than with the router. And I have been able to get many dovetails with almost invisible seams.
And any day real soon I will be able to use my shop for something more than base molding and window trim. sigh!
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you do them Frank's way, you don't need the templates. See October Popular Woodworking.
Add pictures here
βœ–
At what point in this thread did the OP ask advise on hand cutting dovetails?

Add pictures here
βœ–

He didn't. It branched immediately.
Add pictures here
βœ–
You mean it became off topic immediately.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Only by 50%.

Add pictures here
βœ–
100%. The OP never mentioned handcut dovetails. A completely different process.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The OP never mentioned machine cut dovetails. Here's what he said:
[I want to purchase a good dovetail jig but don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions and recommendations about sizes, etc. needed.]
Perhaps you are not aware that jigs are available for hand cut dovetails? See this page cited by Will:
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pA718&cat=1,42884>

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 18/12/2005 12:29 PM, WillR wrote:

You dovetail your base molding and window trim?? I'm impressed :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Hand cut dovetails

But if you had not already had the chisels, what chisels are needed?
Ricky
Add pictures here
βœ–
For the occasional dovetails that I make, I use a set of spacer blocks on the router table. The blocks need to be accurately cut, but once made will last forever. Cuts very nice joints for minimal investment in time & takes up little space in a drawer. Bugs
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/18/2005 6:27 AM Jimmy mumbled something about the following:

Stot's Template Master - make your own jigs of any size - $40
http://www.stots.com/tm.htm
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Be warned though, in buying a stots, you are buying a product that supports the idea that EULA's can be extended beyond the software domain to the physical domain as well. Take a look a the "user agreement" link on that web page. Among the various things in that agreement (from the web page, posted for critical comment):
"Removing the seal from the product indicates your agreement to be bound by the terms of the agreement. ("Agreement") printed in the User’s Manual. If you do not agree with the "Agreement", do not remove product seal and promptly return, this tool, package and the other items (written materials and containers) to Stots Corporation for a full refund."
Not having seen how the product is shipped, one would hope that the User manual is packaged separately so you can see to what you are agreeing before opening the package. Actually, reading below, this may not be the case since they want the User Manual destroyed if you decide to terminate the user agreeement.
More importantly:
" You may not: a. allow individuals that did not purchase the original Product use the Product or any templates produced using the Product or Process described (without specific written permission from the Stots Corporation)"
In other words, if your Father-in-law, son-in-law, or anybody else comes over to your shop, you are breaking the license agreement if they happen to use your jig or any of the jigs you create using the original jig.
"You may: a. use the Product (or any of the working templates produced using the Product or Process) in only one shop by the original purchaser only; b. make one (1) copy of the instructions for backup purposes, provided that you reproduce all proprietary notices on the copy; and c. use the Process described in the instruction book (multiple US patents pending) only with the original Product provided with the instruction book."
So, if you are a small shop and have several employees, only one of those employees are allowed by this license to use this jig. Not sure how this would be interpreted if you were to try to take this jig or any of the working templates produced with the jig (guess non-working templates are OK) to multiple job sites rather than only using them in your shop.
Of course in typical EULA-ese style, all of the obligations are placed upon the purchaser while the seller disavows any responsibility for anything, anywhere, anytime beyond what you pay for the jig:
"IN NO EVENT SHALL STOTS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COLLATERAL, EXEMPLARY, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF YOUR PURCHASE AND USE OF THE PRODUCT OR OUT OF THE WARRANTY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATIONS LOSS OF USE, PROFITS, GOODWILL OR SAVINGS, OR LOSS OF WOOD CUT BY THE USER"
... and of course how you can terminate the license: " GENERAL—You may terminate this licensee at any time by destroying the Product; templates produced using the Process, and all copies of the instruction book or by sending them to Stots. Stots may terminate this license if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of the License Agreement. Upon such termination, you agree to destroy or return the Product; templates produced using the Process, and all copies of the instruction book or by returning them to Stots. "
Actually, upon looking at the above statement, this is even worse than a standard software license. At least if I decided to terminate my Word, Powerpoint, or Excel license, I would not be expected to delete any Word, Powerpoint, or Excel document templates that designed using the licensed software. Or for other software, I wouldn't be expected to delete any of the files created by that other software. Further, I wouldn't be required to destroy the software manuals because I had stopped using the software.
If you are comfortable with helping support the idea that products should be licensed rather than purchased, then by all means have at it.
βœ–
It's BS. Ignore it.
wrote:

-----+
-----+
Add pictures here
βœ–

While one would like to make that comment and treat EULA's as something ot be ignored, there is certainly the chance (as in the current music downloading pogrom) that someone may decide to attempt to enforce those EULA's and make an example of someone they believe to be infringing said EULA. Thus far, there is little precedent regarding the legality of some of these EULA's, but one doesn't want to have to be the guinea pig defending oneself against some jack-booted thugs from some enforcement organization if it can be avoided.

βœ–
You're are the last one I expected to advocate the "lube it up and bend over" approach.