Dovetail jig

What is the best dovetail jig for under $400. I would like to be able to make multiple width tails and pins and I am no rocket scientist so easier is better. I own the Sears version and it works ok but creative options are limited.
George
If I was willing to spend that on a jig, I'd get the Leigh.
Brian.

Brian wrote:

I picked up a used Leigh for a good price a number of years ago from a contact made on the listserver. Anybody here have one to sell. (Mines not for sale :-)
Try Ebay. The Leigh's not the quickest to set up but offers the most options.
rhg
On 21 Jul 2004 07:19:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (George) wrote:
|What is the best dovetail jig for under $400. I would like to be able |to make multiple width tails and pins and I am no rocket scientist so |easier is better. I own the Sears version and it works ok but creative |options are limited.
Leigh D4
(George)

Another option would be the Akeda, which I own. Slightly better repeatability in setup function. Decent dust collection. Good manual. Not nearly as widely used. Available in the US only through Woodcraft, and maybe not at every location. I made through dovetails with variable spacing, rubber mallet tight, within 45 minutes of mounting the jig to the bench. Half-blinds can be screwed up, but you have to be creative to do so.
Another interesting product is the Katie jig. http://www.katiejig.com/ I find the operation of this tool to be very intuitive, and the use of a router table, allowing a much more powerful router, somewhat comforting. One of the kitchen cabinet books I've got loves this set up. He uses a shop-made table, with two routers set up, to move quickly through a kitchen's worth of drawer joints.
Just my US$400 worth....
Patriarch
You did leave out a very nice machine made by Porter Cable.
The 24" Omnijig is a monster of a jig and is currently being sold with the adjustable through template and the 1/2" blind template for $379... It makes most other jigs appear to be toys compared to weight and mass..
It comes in at around 60 lbs and will last a lifetime or two...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)90432766/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3417831-9286449?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846
patriarch < wrote:

I apologize if it seemed as though I intended my reviews to be exhaustive. Far from the case, what I meant to imply was that those were the thoughts and experiences of an enthusiastic hobbyist.
Here's hoping others can contribute their experiences, too.
Patriarch

I'd say the top two vote getters are Leigh and the Akeda.
Not so fast. I have a 16" Omni Jig and it is great. I would buy another one in a minute. I had a cheapo import once but this is a Cadilac or maybe now a Lexus?, in comparison. Even I can make drawers one after another and everything fits.
"Logan" wrote in message

A Toyota by any other name ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Or Jaguar/Taurus...
Seems like 16" would be a severe limitation. I don't doubt the jig itself is nice, though.
Brian.

I think, that when I need to do a dovetail wider than 16", I will end up with another joinery solution. Or hand cut them.
Patriarch
Limitation? Severe? Depends on what you routinely make. If you make a number of drawers and one blanket chest per lifetime, the 16 makes sense.
rhg
Brian wrote:

Severe in that your $400 isn't going as far as it could. And besides, if you only make drawers, why is a $400 jig needed in the first place?
I don't know, maybe its just me.
Brian.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:20:34 GMT, "patrick conroy"

I should have offered this link earlier:
http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/LeighVersusAkeda/LeighVersusAkeda.html