Dovetail "Inlay" Question

Am running Dovetail inlay in 30-inch table top. Having never done this before...I plan to run a light dove tail in the top (Black Walnut) 2-3 inches inset for the full 30 inches on two sides...then cut Maple dovetails from 4/4 stock and rip to fit and slide into the dovetail...any ideas or experience would be appreciated! thanks!
Schroeder
Doesn't Norm call that a "Dutchman"? There's a template bit set for making inlays, not too difficult - - I did 'em by hand :(

dovetails
Hi Schroeder,
I assume the inlay is purely decorative. If that's the case, I don't really understand why you want to dovetail it in, unless it's simply as a tour-de-force.
Decorative stringing/bandings are normally square-sided and are laid into a square-sided groove.
Sliding dovetail joints aren't that hard to do, but you usually find that the sliding member needs a little persuasion to send it home, and a 30" long thin strip won't take too persuasion before it breaks on you. You might try the old dodge of making sure that the inlay is bone dry, cutting it so that it's a relatively easy fit and allowing it to swell as it takes up moisture when it's in place. Works well with wedges, but I've never tried it with an inlay.
You can always use the traditional method as a fall-back, if your dovetailed banding doesn't work, by routing out your groove with a straight cutter.
Best of luck if you do go ahead with it. Let us know how it goes.
Frank

dovetails